Miter Angles
(12-16-2023, 01:29 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I like jigs. When I build a set of stairs I usually make about 3 dozen; the cutouts from the stringers. They work great to drill the baluster holes plumb on the bottom of the rail, especially when the rail is resting upside down on the stairs. Just don't forget to spin it around. (Top end of rail goes at the bottom of staircase while drilling.) Don't ask how I know!

B.T.W. No takers for the quiz question on my previous post yet.

I like jigs, too, but I was specifically asking the OP why he needed to print them, which I took to mean with a 3D printer.  

As for your quiz, it's because the angle scale is 0 with the blade 90 deg to the fence.   The fence is your newel post, so to get a 50 deg angle on the end of the handrail you set the saw at 40 deg.   

John
(12-15-2023, 10:33 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Printing the jig?  What makes it so special that you can't make it with your miter saw.  

John
Well one reason is I can model it and print it and it's ready when I want to go to the shop. I don't have to use my limited shop time building a jig to work on a project.   Another reason is less measuring and more accuracy.  Model the part to the correct angle and print it, and it's a pretty accurate jig - assuming the existing slope that my phone measured is accurate.   But mostly because I can. It's fun to do. besides I am learning 3D modeling and this is a good excuse to practice it.  I'm not sure why you care how I do it.  I was mostly asking for confirmation of my reasoning and the math for the angles.

(12-17-2023, 04:37 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Well one reason is I can model it and print it and it's ready when I want to go to the shop. I don't have to use my limited shop time building a jig to work on a project.   Another reason is less measuring and more accuracy.  Model the part to the correct angle and print it, and it's a pretty accurate jig - assuming the existing slope that my phone measured is accurate.   But mostly because I can. It's fun to do. besides I am learning 3D modeling and this is a good excuse to practice it.  I'm not sure why you care how I do it.  I was mostly asking for confirmation of my reasoning and the math for the angles.

I don't care, I was just curious.  

John
(12-18-2023, 10:40 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I don't care, I was just curious.  

John

ok.  well in any case my math was correct.  I cut all the parts this weekend and did a test fit yesterday.  I'm working on some of the trim/detail parts and then will start assembly.  The goal is to have something for my wife to at least look at for Christmas.

(12-19-2023, 11:24 AM)crokett™ Wrote: ok.  well in any case my math was correct.  I cut all the parts this weekend and did a test fit yesterday.  I'm working on some of the trim/detail parts and then will start assembly.  The goal is to have something for my wife to at least look at for Christmas.

Glad it worked out.   

John