Looking for 20mm diameter dowels
... this can't be that hard, and yet.

My wife would like a large pegboard for hanging hats, coats, and things. "No problem", thinks I, "I can do a 20mm layout using my workbench tooling". 

And then I completely fail to find 20mm wooden dowels. Anywhere. 

So - help? Does anyone have a source? I'm looking for maybe 4" long (20mm by 4", that's a good combination) but I can also cut down anything longer. The closest I've found is a really sketchy dowel jig from eBay/AliExpress that would let me cut down a 1" dowel but - see "sketchy". 

I don't have a lathe but I do have a drill, so I suppose I could sand something down...
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
20 mm aluminum rod can be found, at least on ebay.  You may be able to find a supplier for wooden dowels in the UK or Europe.
There's some listed on Etsy, I also found some listed at Walmaert (!),but they were only 50mm long.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just use 3/4

Ed
Ck here. I've bought from here for years. Good people.
Dowels up to 48" long last I looked.

https://www.midwestdowel.com//

If it isn't listed, ask them.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-18-2023, 05:35 PM)EdL Wrote: Just use 3/4

Ed

20 / 25.4 = 0.7874"

Therefore, 3/4" dowels will be a bit small. That's probably what is driving OP crazy. 
Sad
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
An idea suggested on another site was to drill a 20mm hole in a piece of steel to create a dowel plate and hammer 7/8" dowels through the hole to make the 20mm dowel. Actually the suggestion was to go to a machine shop and have them drill the hole.
One approach would be to get a router quarter round bit with 10mm radius. The with a 20 mm square length of material mill the dowel from the center section leaving flat square ends to register against the router table's fence (assuming of course you do have a router table).
Possibly the best way if you don't have the proper power tools is with a Hollow Auger in a bit brace. You just set the diameter you need and crank away, piece of cake...  
Smile

A spoke pointer can help to get it started.

Cliff
Cliff
ex-TX, now Maine!