HVAC Ceiling vent
I've had several technicians tell me that my ceiling vents are AC and I need ones for heat. What is the difference? Where can I get 6" diameter heat vents/deflectors?
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(01-24-2024, 02:12 PM)museumguy Wrote: I've had several technicians tell me that my ceiling vents are AC and I need ones for heat. What is the difference? Where can I get 6" diameter heat vents/deflectors?
Are you having heat issues ?
Depending on heating system could they be telling you those vents are only connected to the AC system and you have radiators or baseboard heat for the heating side of your system and not forced air?   Was the AC added to a home that never had AC?   It has to be more than just the vent covers  Roly
(01-24-2024, 02:12 PM)museumguy Wrote: I've had several technicians tell me that my ceiling vents are AC and I need ones for heat. What is the difference? Where can I get 6" diameter heat vents/deflectors?

Any heat coming out of them?  Last house had vents in the ceiling, this old house is all floor.  A/C and heat out of both.
The house originally had baseboard heat. Sometime afterwards, a heat pump was installed with ceiling vents. When we bought the place in 2010, a new system was put in. The air handler is in the attic. Over the past 13 years, whenever work has been done, the comment about the ceiling having AC vents, not heat. Oh, the baseboard heat was removed in 2012. From what I was told, it has to do with the way the air flow comes out of the vents. AC flows across the ceiling and heat needs to blow down. This is not my forte so I'm asking questions.

Thanks for any help.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Is the space comfortable when heating and cooling?  Is there actually a problem besides what appears to be an attempted upsell?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

No, the space is not comfortable when heating. The warm air does not appear to get down to the floor. When cooling, it's very comfortable.

The reason that I'm asking these questions is because I've never heard of different vents. I was concerned about the upsell as you call it. In a weird way, it makes sense. I have no clue if it's real or not.

Garry
Sounds like you’re the victim of a cheap and dirty conversion/install. Plunk a 6” run in the middle of each room and don’t spend the time to properly arrange and install the duct. Better would be rectangular register boot pushed out to the outside edges and perhaps some split returns with high and low intakes at the inside walls. Simply changing the grilles or registers likely won’t help. You need to contact a reputable installer, have him look at your situation and make a plan and quote. I can’t say how big a project this might be, I’ve not seen your house. If you wish, I could look at proposals you get and perhaps advise you a bit more.
Blackhat

I also have a ceiling vent in a high ceiling room (30 feet). Heat can not get down to the floor from that vent because heat rises. Fortunately, there are other vents from a different HVAC unit closer to the floor.
There’s a big ceiling fan in the middle of the room, that if I turn it on will bring some of the heat down, but the air movement is chilling.
VH07V  
If that is actually a supply grille, whoever installed it is an person. That should be a return duct
Blackhat

(01-25-2024, 10:39 PM)blackhat Wrote: Sounds like you’re the victim of a cheap and dirty conversion/install. Plunk a 6” run in the middle of each room and don’t spend the time to properly arrange and install the duct. Better would be rectangular register boot pushed out to the outside edges and perhaps some split returns with high and low intakes at the inside walls. Simply changing the grilles or registers likely won’t help. You need to contact a reputable installer, have him look at your situation and make a plan and quote. I can’t say how big a project this might be, I’ve not seen your house. If you wish, I could look at proposals you get and perhaps advise you a bit more.

I did get a quote last year for a whole new system with proper ductwork. I've always said that our ductwork is just plain wrong. I'm hoping to get a couple of more years out of the current system. This will give me time to get the finances together for the new system.

Oh, our house is a 1152 sq ft modular on a crawl space.

Garry