Finally! Combination plane storage.
Decades(!) of owning these things without having proper storage.  Finally, while looking through what I want to sell off, I spied some extra red oak I had on hand and decided I'd make proper boxes for my 3 combination planes - keeping all the various parts together for each was just getting too hard to do.

[Image: IMG_2088.jpeg]

Ignore the mess on the bench!  All scraps on their way to the trash bin.

[Image: IMG_2086.jpeg]

Just put the "decals" on, which are really just found images off of the web printed on self-adhesive mailing labels.  Probably won't last too long, but what the heck.  It gives them a little nostalgic identity.

Talk about procrastination!  I've had one of the 45's for 30 years, the other two for nearly 20.
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
Looks great to me!
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Those look really nice. Did you put any organizers on the insides, to hold parts in position?

I bet the decals will stay in place nicely with one or two more coats of finish ...
Looks 100% legit to me. Good to see you post.

Nice job

Andy
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
Excellent! !
(02-20-2024, 05:46 PM)grwold Wrote: Those look really nice.  Did you put any organizers on the insides, to hold parts in position?

I bet the decals will stay in place nicely with one or two more coats of finish ...

Thanks!

Haven't placed organizers in them yet.  Have an idea that would just use a little bit of pine... Give me a dozen years or so...  
Laugh

Finish is linseed oil, so...

(02-20-2024, 06:25 PM)Nordic Wrote: Thanks!

Haven't placed organizers in them yet.  Have an idea that would just use a little bit of pine... Give me a dozen years or so...  
Laugh

Finish is linseed oil, so...

I've started the timer. I'll check back!

In the mean time, please don't be surprised if, somewhere in there, I post photos of a copy of your design. The cardboard box my 45's sitting in might need some help, and I don't trust myself to give proper attribution ...
(02-20-2024, 08:38 PM)grwold Wrote: I've started the timer.  I'll check back!

In the mean time, please don't be surprised if, somewhere in there, I post photos of a copy of your design.  The cardboard box my 45's sitting in might need some help, and I don't trust myself to give proper attribution ...

I can’t take credit for the design - I basically modeled them on two things…. The style of the original wood boxes (there were several different types, as I understand it, including wood, pasteboard and metal) and the size and amount of wood I had on hand.  

There is an original on a completed eBay sale (see link below), that included dimensions shown by the thoughtful seller, that shows the wood style boxes were made from 1/2” thick chestnut approximately 5-3/4” wide, 6-3/8” to 6-1/2” tall, and 12” long for the 45 model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204608177818

I made these 45 boxes about an inch larger in each direction, and the 55 box an  additional inch over that, as all reports say those original ones were tight at best, and because that worked out for the wood I had on hand.  I despise red oak, yet it seems I make a lotta crap out of it and had some on hand leftover from the last project, so planed it down to 1/2” thick and used it here.

I did add a breadboard style “end” piece on the lid, mostly because I screwed up the spacing of the finger joints a bit and didn’t want to make the box smaller to fix it…. It also made for a nice end to the little “pull” I carved out with a sweep, similar to what was done on the original.

I do plan on building a pine “tray” to fit the bottom with grooves/slots to hold the fences, rods, cam, cutter boxes and stops in place so they aren’t just lying in there loosely.  

Someday.  Hopefully.  Maybe.
Laugh

Those look great! I wonder if you were to shellac over the labels do you think that wood protect them?
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
(02-21-2024, 12:44 AM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: Those look great! I wonder if you were to shellac over the labels do you think that wood protect them?

Maybe if sprayed on…. I’ll pick up a Zinsser spray can later today and try it out on some scrap to see.

Thanks for the suggestion!