The correct paint
I bought a Delta 6 inch jointer at an auction last Saturday. It is a fairly new model  because the cutter head has jacking screws. It has sat in a barn for you knows how long. DE rusting it is going to take a while. It has four metal legs.  I have no way of taking a picture at the present time so I can not post a picture. I would like to know where I can get the correct light gray paint. Any help will be appreciated.

Tom
Tom, over the years Delta's gray color has changed a little from time to time, but a guy over at OWWM had a color match done on a 1946 Delta tool and here's the formula. It's SW but I'd bet any of the paint stores can use it...probably even Menards. Here it is:

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-22-2024, 05:41 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Tom, over the years Delta's gray color has changed a little from time to time, but a guy over at OWWM had a color match done on a 1946 Delta tool and here's the formula. It's SW but I'd bet any of the paint stores can use it...probably even Menards. Here it is:

Thank you for your reply. I can't get the fence to articulate so I started tearing it down to clean all of the pins and different parts. My biggest hang up it the shot pin that won't budge. It it going to take some time and PT Blaster to hopefully loosen it up enough to get it out. I tried to see it the tables would move and they won't to I am going to have to tear it all down. So matching color is no longer a problem. 

Tom
For Delta jointers that have springs under the jointer blade (mine is an 8" model 37-315), I found replacements for the springs on Amazon. Private message me and I'll get the brand/part number dug out.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-21-2024, 02:23 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I bought a Delta 6 inch jointer at an auction last Saturday. It is a fairly new model  because the cutter head has jacking screws. It has sat in a barn for you knows how long. DE rusting it is going to take a while. It has four metal legs.  I have no way of taking a picture at the present time so I can not post a picture. I would like to know where I can get the correct light gray paint. Any help will be appreciated.

Tom

Is there a tag on that jointer that says: "Made in Taiwan"?
It might be a 37-190.  They had metal legs.
The USA-made Delta 6" jointers with flared leg type stands didn't have jack screws.
My daughter came over today and helped me with pictures so I am back in business. My shop and building are still to cold to work in so I only took off a little at a time. which is the linkage for the fence.  I also have the knives out and I took them to work to sharpen.

Tom
Can't wait to seed the end result. Looks pretty rough right now but I've admired your work befoe.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Pretty sure that's a Sunhill jointer.

Solid machine.
You can always take a part from the machine to an auto paint supplier. They will have a "Chip Deck". Thousands of paint chips organized by color and hue You'll be able to find a very close, if not exact match. They can mix a qt or two of polyurethane single stage (no clear coat) to match. Believe it or not, almost everything ever painted commercially had a paint code generated so any paint manufacture can match it and any good supplier can mix it. Manufacturers pick their colors from a chip deck and then re-name the color. Car manufactures get real creative in naming them. Paint manufacturers constantly create new colors and then other manufactures copy the color and create a formula to match it but the paint code never changes. I'll bet you can pretty easily find a chip, code and formula to match. Using a scanner will only get you close. They don't do well with light or dark colors. Gray paint is white with several different colors in it, blues, greens, magenta, purples etc. Maybe a little black. A scanner can't nail down the subtle differences between gray paints because the mashed up colors give it their unique tones. For instance, you can't mix white and black and match a gray paint. Especially a light gray like on a machine.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Snipe Hunter said he was sure it was a Sun hill jointer. It it possible it was mad by the same company that makes Sun Hill. Who knows who makes what anymore.  I am just going by the tag that says Delta in the second picture. I do have an 8 inch jointer that is a Sun Hill brand. I bought it in about 96 and the only thing I have done to it is sharpen Blades I am more that happy to have another one.

I have tried a couple of things to get the shot pin loose but haven't had any success yet. I did make a slide hammer for it yesterday but didn't really get to really try it out. 

I have decided to take the tables off and really clean the ways. Since it is not what you would call a collectors item, I really to not plan on getting it color matched Any gray color will work if I repaint the whole thing which I plan on doing. I probably will do the Band Saw also. But thank you for your reconditions I have less than $100 in it and I do not feel it is worth the expense of color matching the paint, again not even close to being collectable.

But thank you for the time it took you to respond.

Tom