glider bench / chair plan recommendations
My sister has expressed an interest in some Amish / Kitchissippi style bench and chair that are gliders.
Lee Valley has the glider hardware but no plans for glider furniture that I can find.

When googling around, I found the LuxCraft site where they are selling 6' glider benches that look especially nice with roll seat, high back, and a fold-down shelf in the middle. Unless I am missing something, these look like they could be especially comfortable.

Anyone have suggestions for good plans for gliders (chairs or benches)?

"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Unrelated to your potential project - I sent you  a few PM's - just wondering if you got them?
Rick

I've never built any, but Cherry Tree has some plans that might be what you are looking for.

https://cherrytreetoys.com/outdoor/
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I built a swing without plans which has been outside in an A-frame stand since 2007.
Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you have some curve to the backrest—it’s so much more comfortable than a straight back.
Doesn’t have to be much; just not straight.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
If you have old Wood magazines hanging around, there was an article in May 2004 with this bench in it:

There's an associated adirondack chair, too.  Wood Mag's site is also selling the plan.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(03-21-2024, 11:40 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've never built any, but Cherry Tree has some plans that might be what you are looking for.

https://cherrytreetoys.com/outdoor/

Thanks. Those look interesting. Unless I find something better first, I will order a copy of the glider chair plans when they are back in stock.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

(03-21-2024, 04:46 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: I built a swing without plans which has been outside in an A-frame stand since 2007.
Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you have some curve to the backrest—it’s so much more comfortable than a straight back.
Doesn’t have to be much; just not straight.

Good point about the back curvature. Over the years, we have had several versions of the oak-slats-on-iron-straps porch swings and chairs. The ones that we enjoyed had curves that flowed from the seat through the back. Thanks for the reminder.

I did notice that the ones at LuxCraft seemed to have a comfortable curvature for the back for the ones that were only shoulder high while the one that was head-high (like the pic that I posted) changed to a back that was straight in the vertical direction but curved in the horizontal direction. That puzzled me a bit.

R_Clark: I think that I have that issue somewhere. Thanks for the pointer.

Wood Issue 205, July 2011 has their “Easy to build Glider”

The seat doesn’t appear to be curved enough and the back is straight but those are easily changed.
I’m never going to use the plan if you want it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(03-22-2024, 10:24 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Wood Issue 205, July 2011 has their “Easy to build Glider”

The seat doesn’t appear to be curved enough and the back is straight but those are easily changed.
I’m never going to use the plan if you want it.

I appreciate the offer. I think that I accumulated a fairly complete set of Wood magazine when I joined WN. So, I think that I already have that issue - just need to figure out which bookcase it got filed in.

The note about needing to change the curvatures in that plan is appreciated, too.
Yes