Finishing Walnut
Yeah. some of the super light areas I put a couple coats on. The dyed areas are a little more brown than the natural dark walnut (it's got a reddish tone) but after I apply the watco oil that won't matter.

(04-25-2024, 07:46 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Yeah.  some of the super light areas I put a couple coats on.  The dyed areas are a little more brown than the natural dark walnut (it's got a reddish tone) but after I apply the watco oil that won't matter.

You can mix dye colors or layer them, and usually have to, to get a good color match.  Most times, you won't know if the match is good until after doing all the finishing steps, which means testing on scrap, lots of testing.  

John
When using Transtint I use veternary syrenges from the farm store/grain elevator so a repeatable color mix is easy.
I also mix it w8th denatured alcohol.

Ed
I suggest you use Van Dyke crystals, they are made from walnut husks so they match Walnut's color. (https://www.shellac.net/product641.html) In the past, I have purchased them from Amazon. Since they are mixed with water it will raise the grain so pre-wet the entire surface and sand lightly. Also if you want the walnut to stay dark put  Boiled Linseed oil on first. Let that dry thoroughly. As they say, Light woods darken and dark woods lighten. After that, I normally use Shellac and wax or an oil-based finish over the Boiled Linseed oil.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!