Stanley #80
I bought a Hock scraper blade scraper from Lee Valley for my Stanley #80. I was wondering because It is a lot thicker than the standard blade, cost a lot more too. I rolled a slight burr and took it for a spin on some red Oak. I like it very much, actually I am quite impressed. I am hoping it will hold an edge a lot longer. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Tom
On the #80...the thumbscrew in the center....is to bow the iron, the same as when you bow a cabinet scraper....

It also helps with depth adjustments...

So..I am just wondering HOW a thicker iron would work with that center bolt....will the iron flex?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-24-2024, 08:59 PM)bandit571 Wrote: On the #80...the thumbscrew in the center....is to bow the iron, the same as when you bow a cabinet scraper....

It also helps with depth adjustments...

So..I am just wondering HOW a thicker iron would work with that center bolt....will the iron flex?

It doesn't need to flex with a thicker, stiffer blade.  You roll a burr on the edge and just use it.  In fact, with the thicker Hock blade, you don't even need the center thumbscrew.  The drawback is you'll get some tracks on each side, unless you grind the corners of the blade round.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I experienced what Ahill said about tracks on both sides.  Steve, Yes the center screw does the adjusting on the #80 and when I was first setting it up I was wondering about if I could use the center screw. In fact I was wondering about even rolling a burr. Lie-Nielsen recommends that a person not roll the burr on their Stanley 112  until they use it for a while.

I decided to roll a burr and I did a very light one, My thoughts are I can always roll a larger burr. It is a lot more work to make it smaller.

I did try the center adjusting screw and the screw will flex the blade and it doesn't take much but it gets rid of the tracks Ahill mentioned. In fact it really widened out the shaving. I did find that I liked skewing the #80 a little. With the standard blade I just used it straight.

I will be in my shop today cleaning and getting ready for my up coming woodworking season. My shop was almost up to 50 degrees yesterday. I will get some pictures. The jury is still out on the blade, but baste on first impressions I really like it. 

Tom
The blade on my #80 has been worn down to the nub. I was thinking of trying a cabinet scraper in there just to see how it works. I'd like to see how your thicker blade works as well.
I didn't stone the edge on anything. I kind of wanted to see how it worked. I rolled a small burr, thinking it is easier to role a larger burr than start over. The first picture is on Red Oak. next is Hand Maple and the last couple are walnut.

I am satisfied with my purchase.

Tom
Looks good Tom.........
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It seems to be working quite well.
Yep...even Paul Sellers uses one...

Mine is hanging, both inside the Tool Cabinet...and..

Hanging on the door, ready for use...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I need to get with the program I guess. Mine hasn't been used since I bought it.