Woodnet Forums
Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? (/showthread.php?tid=6602890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Arlin Eastman - 12-30-2016

Did anyone notice on post 73 is Window Guys

Sure going to miss him.

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - bigredknothead - 12-30-2016

The vintage spokies have too wide of a mouth for my liking.

And, for the life of me I don't know why Boggs/LN didn't put the 151-style blade adjustment on their model. That would make it the perfect spokeshave.

Imo, the threesome package Veritas offers is the best deal there is out there.

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - bigredknothead - 12-30-2016

My post must have been lame.....because it disappeared.

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Yetloh - 12-31-2016

I'm surprised no one has put in a word for the Woodjoy shaves.  I've had mine for several years and they are superb.  They have pull/push hex screws  for adjustment which enables very fine and precise adjustment.  Also, the thick blades have no tangs, so are very easy to sharpen.  I much prefer wood shaves, these have brass inserts in front of the blades and are a dream to use.

Jim

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Bibliophile 13 - 12-31-2016

Since I posted in reply to the original query, I have written up my thoughts on my blog: Link here.

One thing that differentiates a lot of spokeshaves is the length of the handles.  Some, like the LV the Stanleys have longer handles, which can be held bicycle-style--each handle in a fist.  Others, like the LN Boggs and the old Preston and its clones have much shorter handles.  I find these uncomfortable (I've only played with them briefly at woodworking shows), but they're designed so that you use them by wrapping your index fingers around the bodies of the shaves.  You have a little more control that way, but you also need to take a thinner shaving.  It's largely a matter of personal preference, but it's not something you're likely to notice until you have the shaves in your hands.

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Timberwolf - 01-01-2017

(12-30-2016, 02:15 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Did anyone notice on post 73 is Window Guys

Sure going to miss him.

I noticed it also, Arlin...very sad.........he suffered alot!!!

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Skip J. - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 08:54 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............................

I noticed it also, Arlin...very sad.........he suffered alot!!!

Hello Jack;
I did too...  Thanks for letting us know about Steve.....

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - MattP - 01-01-2017

(12-30-2016, 02:10 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: I really enjoy using my LN Boggs shave.  But you definitely have to use it in a different way than the regular stanley.  Once I was able to figure it out, it's perfect for me.  At first I was ready to send it back to Maine. lol

I have the LN round and flat bottom spokeshaves. I hate them with a white hot passion. Every time I try to set one of them up, I want to jam it down the throat of the person who made it. Maybe one day I'll get the knack.

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Yetloh - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 01:48 PM)MattP Wrote: I have the LN round and flat bottom spokeshaves. I hate them with a white hot passion. Every time I try to set one of them up, I want to jam it down the throat of the person who made it. Maybe one day I'll get the knack.

Put the LN's on Ebay and buy the Woodjoys, you'll never regret it.  Some LN stuf is good but by no means all.  I had the skew blockplane - it lacked rigidity and was incredibly vulnerable to damage with the side removed - I replaced it with the Veritas which is an infinitely superior design.

Jim

RE: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - rwe2156 - 01-02-2017

Veritas.

Because they hold adjustment well

and just look good!!