Woodnet Forums
Zoetrope - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Zoetrope (/showthread.php?tid=6937816)

Pages: 1 2

Zoetrope - kludge - 01-26-2015

A zoetrope is an animation toy that literally translates to "life turning." While I had many challenges on this build, I have to say is it easily one of my favorite creations. I have a particular fondness for toys....

In order to make it, I needed 8 slits in the top. I devised many solutions for cutting these, but none seemed really practical to get 8 evenly cut slits. That was until I realized I could easily cut them on the radial arm saw.

After the cuts were made it was off the the lathe, after a quick stop at the band saw to knock off the corners. My main worry was that the wedges would de-lamiate from the block due to the turning. I took very light cuts with the bowl gouge and tried my best to not get a catch.

Hollowing was done with a square nose scraper, again to reduce the possibility of catches. It was slow going but after about 20 minutes I had it hollowed out and the walls as thin as I was willing to go.

I used BLO for the finish. Most zoetropes are painted black on the outside to draw your eye to the animation. I really wanted to avoid that, and so I tried to just darken the wood a bit...

The zoetrope works really well and you can find lots of different animation strips online. You also can make your own if you have the skill!

Thanks for looking!

Re: Zoetrope - MichaelMouse - 01-26-2015

Neat project.

I see you're using the same Monkey Wards saw I own. Which is why I have to say I would not have had the courage to do those cuts on it.

Re: Zoetrope - kludge - 01-26-2015

MichaelMouse said:

I see you're using the same Monkey Wards saw I own. Which is why I have to say I would not have had the courage to do those cuts on it.

That saw has me wanting to re-cant every nice thing I ever said about RAS's

The free 1978 Craftsman that I sold from my old shop was so much better!

Re: Zoetrope - AHill - 01-26-2015

Now that's a cool project! Another one in the idea hopper for this year's Christmas presents. Great job.

Re: Zoetrope - Dennis Puskar - 01-26-2015

Looks great good winter project.

Re: Zoetrope - MichaelMouse - 01-26-2015

I bought mine in California as well. Used, but it was my only saw for almost ten years, until I could have a tablesaw. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to give it away so SWMBO will led me get a SCMS. Makes a pretty good overarm router, though.

Re: Zoetrope - Steve K - 01-26-2015

Neat project and nicely done. Thanks for sharing it!

Re: Zoetrope - badwhiskey - 01-26-2015

Very cool. Did you see that on Reddit? I've been fascinated by those ever since I was a kid. What are the dimensions? Does it have to be very precise to get the effect?

Re: Zoetrope - kludge - 01-26-2015

badwhiskey said:

Very cool. Did you see that on Reddit? I've been fascinated by those ever since I was a kid. What are the dimensions? Does it have to be very precise to get the effect?

I keep a folder of ideas, and this was in there. I cannot recall where the idea came from!

The dimensions are 3" deep and 5" in diameter. I don't think that precision is hugely important, as one of my slots was off pretty bad. My only hangup was the wall thickness

I ended up beveling the inside slits like arrow slots in a tower. After that the animation was completely visible!

Re: Zoetrope - Gene Luby - 01-28-2015

What a great project,gona try one for my grand daughter,thanks Gene