Woodnet Forums
latest lathe addition - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: latest lathe addition (/showthread.php?tid=7011418)

latest lathe addition - oreos40 - 05-09-2015

I just finished the first run of parts on this lathe.

I added a 6" Atlas headstock 90 degrees to the original home built lathe bed. it works for shallow bowls or flatwork like plates and rosettes.

It does a nice job and the guess work is removed by using a template shown here.

Re: latest lathe addition - daddo - 03-20-2016

I've had a rosette cutter for years sitting on the shelf. The drill press just couldn't handle it- too much runout, chatter and didn't have the power, so I put it away.
I started looking to see who had a better way and ran across the idea of using the metal lathe instead like your post here.

So I mounted the stock in the lathe and went to town. Takes only 8 seconds to cut this way with no chatter and plenty of power.

I can whip these out by the dozens now.

Re: latest lathe addition - Arlin Eastman - 03-20-2016

Roger

You are always coming up with something neat. If I knew I could make money making rosettes I would make them but I also know I would properly not keep up with demand.

I am still looking forward to getting a tailstock mod that you make with a lever.

Arlin

Re: latest lathe addition - oreos40 - 03-20-2016

Arlin! I need the dimensions of your tailstock to do it. or bring it with you and come for a visit!

Re: latest lathe addition - oreos40 - 03-20-2016

Ahhh! Another cheater using a metal lathe for wood but you cant charge as much cause they aren't made by hand lol.
Looks great!!

Re: latest lathe addition - iclark - 03-20-2016

oreos40 said:

Arlin! I need the dimensions of your tailstock to do it. or bring it with you and come for a visit!

Okay, made me ask.

What is the latest mod?

Re: latest lathe addition - Arlin Eastman - 03-20-2016

Roger

What measurements do you need and I will PM them to you.

Ivan

The mod is instead of a wheel on the back of the tail stock it is a lever to do so and he made a nice one for his lathe. It is fast and make a strong clamp into the wood and then it can be locked in.

It seems Roger is always doing something neat.

Arlin

Re: latest lathe addition - iclark - 03-20-2016

Arlin,

Thanks for the explanation.

Ivan

Re: latest lathe addition - Herebrooks - 03-21-2016

Bullseye!!!