Woodnet Forums
Cleaning drum sander rolls - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cleaning drum sander rolls (/showthread.php?tid=7069335)

Cleaning drum sander rolls - bennybmn - 08-06-2015

Hi all, recently I saw a tip in a mag about using a length of PVC to secure rolls of sandpaper from a drum sander to dry after cleaning. It didn't mention how the rolls were cleaned... Then last week I really gummed up the paper on mine with some paint and stuff, so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. I'd hate to toss the roll, it's barely used!
Thanks!

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - jlanciani - 08-06-2015

I soak mine in straight simple green. I let them soak overnight and then rinse them off and dry them. I just roll them up loosely and put them out in the sun to dry, never bothered to wrap them on anything to dry.

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - mavrick1903 - 08-06-2015

Cleaning them with a crepe stick while on the drum works as well. Though I dont know about getting that much paint and such off. I'll have to try the simple green route sometime. I try not to let them get too loaded.

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - arthropod98 - 08-06-2015

i'm gonna have to give the simple green soak a shot too. i never even considered trying to clean a loaded-up roll.

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - wpwoodworker - 08-06-2015

I soak gummed-up sander belts in store-brand windex for a few hours then rinse off the residue and let them dry. If it's really gummed-up I use a stiff bristle brush to help loosen the residue after the belt soaked a while then either soak a little longer or rinse the belt depending on how bad it's clogged.

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - John Mihich - 08-06-2015

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of some of those ideas. I have used the gum eraser thing.

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - bennybmn - 08-06-2015

Yeah, thanks everyone! The gum stick wasn't working... I didn't realize the paint was loading it up so much or I would have tried the gum stick after each pass. I'm making a growth chart ruler ting for my son, and I painted the lines black so I was just sanding off the main surface. Didn't think it would be an issue... Live n learn!

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - Tony Z - 08-06-2015

John Mihich said:

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of some of those ideas. I have used the gum eraser thing.

First "gum stick" I bought (maybe 20 years ago) was great. Think it came from "Trendline" or "Woodworker's Warehouse". Can't remember where I got my present gum eraser, but it is far less effective, deteriorating very quickly, leaving sticky, bits of rubber everywhere.

With Simple Green or Windex, when rinsing, I'm assuming you use the same stuff?

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - wpwoodworker - 08-07-2015

I rinse off the windex with clear tap water.

Re: Cleaning drum sander rolls - Tony Z - 08-07-2015

wpwoodworker said:

I rinse off the windex with clear tap water.

Thanks!