Woodnet Forums
sliding locked tailstock - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: sliding locked tailstock (/showthread.php?tid=7118104)

sliding locked tailstock - smithgl12 - 10-13-2015

I have a Jet 1014 and my tailstock doesn't grab really tight when locked to the the ways. It tends to slide away from the wood as I clamp wood between centers. Should I cheater bar the tailstock ways clamp handle (and likely break it) or do you have suggestions for increasing the friction.

I'm taking a class at Annapolis Woodworks and they have ten PM 3520's. I didn't realize how nice it is to have rock solid tailstock until using it. That $300 class may cost me $4000 plus a half my stuff when my wife leaves me after buying one.

Re: sliding locked tailstock - Jim Pilsner - 10-13-2015

There's a big nut on the bottom of the locking mechanism for your tailstock. Perhaps that could use a little tightening so you have more or less adjustability with tightening your tailstock up.

Re: sliding locked tailstock - chips ahoy - 10-13-2015

Both the tail stock nut and banjo nut tend to loosen on mine. Just have to tighten by hand.

Mel

Re: sliding locked tailstock - MichaelMouse - 10-13-2015

chips ahoy said:

Both the tail stock nut and banjo nut tend to loosen on mine. Just have to tighten by hand.

Mel

I used a nylock on Ol'Blue's adjustment. Held through pretty much everything after the jam nut original fell out and got swept away.

MM
You talking about a locking nut with the nylon piece in it? Sounds like a good idea.

Mel

Re: sliding locked tailstock - MichaelMouse - 10-13-2015

chips ahoy said:

MM
You talking about a locking nut with the nylon piece in it? Sounds like a good idea.

Mel

What I used. Do they even make fiber locks any more? If so, second choice.

Re: sliding locked tailstock - Joe K1 - 10-13-2015

A few years ago, someone was marketing a square block to replace the circular washer type. It was supposed to eliminate tailstock creep. I don't know anyone who purchases one. Be careful adjusting too close to going over center as you can apply enough force to break the threaded portion. I do know of that happening to a couple of club members. I just put up with it and hit the handle a little harder with my hand

MM
Sounds like a good plan, they don't loosen off, will look into it.

Mel

Re: sliding locked tailstock - iclark - 10-13-2015

Joe K1 said:

A few years ago, someone was marketing a square block to replace the circular washer type. It was supposed to eliminate tailstock creep. I don't know anyone who purchases one. Be careful adjusting too close to going over center as you can apply enough force to break the threaded portion. I do know of that happening to a couple of club members. I just put up with it and hit the handle a little harder with my hand

That would be Monster Tools. Well made and nice folks to work with. I bought a set, but have not installed them yet. Just haven't been using the mini enough to take the time for the upgrade.

Re: sliding locked tailstock - ihmserv - 10-13-2015

monster tools makes replacement piece that stops slip.

http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=255&category_id=64

ian