Woodnet Forums
I need help on finding the made date - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: I need help on finding the made date (/showthread.php?tid=7120321)

I need help on finding the made date - Arlin Eastman - 10-15-2015

Of a older DeWalt RAS.

It was given to me by a TablesawTom here around the 24 of September and I am wanting to restore it and want to know more about it.

Here is the info on the plate

1. Model # MBF
2. Rel. # 221
3. Serial # 210408

Everything was all on it and complete but gummed up and rust on places on the top and more on the bottom and bear steel.
I have taken pictures of it before I started tearing it down just a few days ago and will take a month to take it all apart and then paint it.

I will make a new post when I get more involved. I am not part of the old Iron site nor want to be since this site has more then enough to keep me occupied.

Thanks for the help

Arlin

Re: I need help on finding the made date - jteneyck - 10-15-2015

Arlin, this might help. Link Are you sure about the Serial Number?

John

Re: I need help on finding the made date - jteneyck - 10-15-2015

Got it. This link shows it was made in 1956.

John

Re: I need help on finding the made date - Arlin Eastman - 10-15-2015

Thank you John and yes that was the right ser#. The thing is in almost perfect condition but for the little rust and over greased.

Arlin

Re: I need help on finding the made date - jteneyck - 10-16-2015

The MBF is a fine saw, Arlin. It's likely the motor bearings need to be replaced since they probably never have been. I used Wolfe Machinery to change them on mine the first time. I did it myself the second time, but it's not a simple task. You may also need some new bearings for the carriage. In any case, once you get it dialed in I think you'll find it a real joy to use.

John

Re: I need help on finding the made date - TDKPE - 10-16-2015

If you do change the bearings yourself, be very careful about not touching any of the wiring or leads, as 59 year old motor insulation is almost certainly brittle. It is probably fine if left alone, much like knob & tube wiring, but if you start flexing leads and cracking off the insulation, you could make a real problem for yourself. If you don't think you want to get into it, let Wolfe do it; they know all the tricks, and where the bear traps are hidden.

Re: I need help on finding the made date - fredhargis - 10-16-2015

I think you got your answer, but if you look at the serial number on the motor, the first 4 digits tell you when the motor was made, which should be close to the age of the saw. The first 2 digits are the years, the second 2 are the month.

Re: I need help on finding the made date - Arlin Eastman - 10-16-2015

Fred

Then how does it work with the info I gave?

Re: I need help on finding the made date - Lumber Yard® - 10-16-2015

Arlin Eastman said:

Fred

Then how does it work with the info I gave?

There are two different badges on the saw with info. ...one on the column and one on the motor... The motor badge has the manufacturer date as Fred pointed out. The first two serial numbers on that badge/plate (located on top of the relay box) are the year the motor was manufactured. HTH

Re: I need help on finding the made date - fredhargis - 10-16-2015

What Lumber yard said, you have to look at the motor tag for the motor serial number.