Woodnet Forums
Earlex 5500 or Fuji 2202? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Earlex 5500 or Fuji 2202? (/showthread.php?tid=7172355)

Earlex 5500 or Fuji 2202? - DaveParkis - 12-20-2015

I'm getting to the point where I want to start spraying some finished pieces. I've been using gel stains and I'm not unhappy with them, but I want to start spraying shellac and lacquer. Both machines get good reviews and there's only $100 difference. Which would you folks recommend?

Re: Earlex 5500 or Fuji 2202? - JR1 - 12-20-2015

I have the Earlex prior to the 5500 and like it a lot. I mainly spray shellac and waterborne; they are great. I have sprayed latex with it but that is a big pain and required flotrol. I haven't sprayed lacquer with it but suspect that you may want to thin it a little. Earlex customer service is great (I managed to loose a part, don't ask). I've never used Fuji but a couple friends have them and like the a lot. I realize that this isn't much help but I feel that they are pretty much same same.

Re: Earlex 5500 or Fuji 2202? - Joel H. - 12-21-2015

I have the Earlex 5500 and couldn't be happier. I have sprayed BM Advance (10% thinned); shellac #1 & #1.5; transtint in H2o; and SW Dull-rubbed lacquer & Medium-rubbed lacquer (without thinning).

I pointed out in my last post on the 5500 that the spongy filter on the bottom is insufficient to keep the air clean. I bought a 5" x 10" x 1" (or thereabouts) HEPA filter at HD and taped it to the bottom of the 5500. Then put the unit on a small dolly bought at HF. Makes it totally mobile and a pleasure to use.

I have no connection to any of the above entities.

Joel