Woodnet Forums
PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? (/showthread.php?tid=7213223)

PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - jussi - 02-06-2016

Opportunity to buy a PM PM2800 drill press. Price is real good at $250. Problem is chuck won't spin. The lighs, lasers, dro, and pretty much everything powers up but when I pull the switch nothing happens. Is it worth to to buy it and try to figure it out once I get home or should I just pass?

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - skizzo - 02-06-2016

Does the motor make any sound at all? If you spin the motor pulley by hand, does it drive the spindle pulley/chuck? If you got nothing happening at the motor, but other electronics turn on, it sounds like a connection or switch problem on the motor. That's often an easily overcome problem... At the best case a loose connection, at the worst find a replacement motor.

If the motor comes on but the spindle doesn't turn, can you see what's happening with the drive belt? All in all, hard to imagine it's not worth a flyer for relatively low money.

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - jussi - 02-06-2016

No motor makes no sound at all.

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - Arlin Eastman - 02-06-2016

Don't this thing cost about $1200 and up? If so I am thinking it would be worth it to fix.

Arli

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - Shop Dad - 02-06-2016

ID pick it up. Could be switch, capacitor, even a wire issue. Worth troubleshooting and I would think you can get your money out.

Doug

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - Dave Diaman - 02-06-2016

I would think worst case scenario is you will need to pick a motor up on EBay for $150-200 and you still have an excellent drill press for less than half it new cost. Best case it is just a loose wire or bad switch which sounds likely.

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - karoc - 02-06-2016

The newer PM's not what they use to be,to me its just another DP.But if I needed a DP I would check it out----Carroll

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - CARYinWA - 02-06-2016

If that is the 2800a i'm not sure it is a bargain at any price. It got bad reviews and was replaced with the "b" version. I haven't heard many good things about it either.

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - woodhead - 02-07-2016

I grabbed a RAS off the curb. The owner said he let the smoke out of the motor??? Took it home anyway. The safety key was missing. I disabled it in the switch by removing the the tab that blocks the on switch and the saw ran fine. So, you never know.

Al

Re: PM Drill Press - Worth it?? - Bob10 - 02-07-2016

I would chance it myself but I don't know your situation. I picked up a PM contractor saw a while back for $100 cleaned out the switch box and the connection at the motor sold it for $400 a day or 2 later.