Woodnet Forums
Ebony bandsaw guides - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Ebony bandsaw guides (/showthread.php?tid=7217731)

Ebony bandsaw guides - Dave Diaman - 02-11-2016

So has anyone ever tried it. I got a set of the Laguna ceramic guides for free but the ceramic inserts are busted. Being a cheap SOB I figured I would try something I have laying around the shop before I order replacements. My first choice would be to mill down some cool blocks to fit which I may still do but I will have to order a set first. My second choice would be lignum vitae which I unfortunately don't have. The next two hardest things I have are ebony and cocobolo. I just don't know if it is a big waste of time and the woods will just burn. If anyone has tried it I would like to hear what your outcome was before I invest the time. Thanks

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - dlgWoodWork - 02-11-2016

I seem to remember someone posting a while back about using wood as cool blocks. I don't remember the species used or if there has been a follow up.

I tried searching but my search ability is lacking.

Maybe sometime else can remember.

Here is one thread on the subject, but it's not the thread I was thinking about. link

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - Dave Diaman - 02-11-2016

Someone posted about using lignum vitae. I will probably just end up ordering some phenolic cool blocks but I sure would like to use something I have on hand if it will work.

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - dlgWoodWork - 02-11-2016

If I was picking between the ebony and cocobolo, I would pick cocobolo. I think the oils in the wood would (possibly) help with the lubrication and cooling.

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - Dave Diaman - 02-11-2016

I just remembered I have some white Teflon sheet that may do the trick. It isn't as hard as phenolic but it is close.

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - Timberwolf - 02-11-2016

Quote:

I would pick cocobolo. I think the oils in the wood would (possibly) help with the lubrication and cooling.

Same here...

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - Sawdustd - 02-12-2016

Agree with using Cocobolo because of it natural oils. Before the advent of steel bearings, it was used for bearings.

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - shoottmx - 02-12-2016

My copy of John Whites "Maintaining Wood Shop Equipment" is loaned out but in there I remember he recommends using
wood for cool blocks. If anyone has a copy it would be interesting to know what he recommends.

s

Re: Ebony bro bandsaw guides - barryvabeach - 02-12-2016

David, I have used cocobolo and lignum vitae, I can't say that I saw a real difference. Any dense wood will work. Years ago someone posted that they used white oak with good results, they soaked the endgrain in oil before using them.

Re: Ebony bandsaw guides - Kudzu - 02-12-2016

I posted this just a few weeks ago. I used white oak because I had some handy and I am love it. Hated screaming bearing. After a couple of months I still love them.

I think any hardwood would work just fine.