Woodnet Forums
i blew it... gasoline - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: i blew it... gasoline (/showthread.php?tid=7267947)

Pages: 1 2

i blew it... gasoline - joshua5 - 04-18-2016

so we wanted to get rid of a critter or two that were burrowing around the bilco door to our basement. basement walls and bilco door area are poured concrete. i'd fill the holes and use poison's/traps but holes kept coming back. so, yes, i went anti-green and poured a little gas in the hole. i didn't think it was too much but my wife is ticked. says the basement smells like gasoline. i dug out around the cement steps a little and flooded the area with water. took out some of the dirt that smelled like gas. i didn't think i put that much in there but she had a fit. i didn't dig out so much dirt that the cement steps are pulling away from the house. i have a fan in the stairwell to blow the smell out and i'll leave the doors open at night. there's an interior door to the basement that can lock. yes, i'm a dork and shouldn't have used gas. i learned my lesson. any other suggestions to get rid of the gas smell?
- smelly dork

Re: i blew it... gasoline - chips ahoy - 04-18-2016

maybe move out until the smell goes away and she forgets about it?

Mel

Re: i blew it... gasoline - joshua5 - 04-18-2016

chips,
told her your suggestion - she said she'll move out (somewhere sunny with umbrella drinks) until the smell goes away and she forgets about me.
thanks for all the help bro!

Re: i blew it... gasoline - Patsfan - 04-18-2016

The human sense of smell tends to kind of reset after a while. Time will take care of that, or through the magic of the human brain, the presence of another
recognizable odor will as well. I would suggest you entertain a family of skunks. Inviting a presidential candidate or Rosie O'Donnell to dinner would be over the top.

Re: i blew it... gasoline - JosephP - 04-18-2016

you could throw a match down the hole to burn the smell off.

or...

throw some activated charcoal down there in a mesh bag that you can pull out in a few weeks.

thought about fire but
1. nothing will burn as i've drenched the area with lots of water and
2. can you just imagine my wife looking out the window with me and a blow torch in hand?

so this will just gas off in time, right?? i would think but then again, my thinking got me into this mess

Re: i blew it... gasoline - Anak - 04-18-2016

I am liking the idea of the skunks...

But to actually provide some useful help (novel concept, especially for yours truly), I have been impressed with this product: Nature's Air Sponge. It worked remarkably well when the dog decided to tangle with a skunk. Outside our bedroom window. One summer night. When the window was open. Darn cur.

Or you could try a candle.

Maybe even a scented candle. For your wife of course.

Re: i blew it... gasoline - JosephP - 04-18-2016

joshua5 said:

thought about fire but
1. nothing will burn as i've drenched the area with lots of water and
2. can you just imagine my wife looking out the window with me and a blow torch in hand?

You have not heard of the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland?

Re: i blew it... gasoline - blackhat - 04-19-2016

How much? A cup, a quart, a gallon?