Woodnet Forums
Source for vise screws - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Source for vise screws (/showthread.php?tid=7284634)

Source for vise screws - mschlack - 05-16-2016

I want to build Tage Frid's workbench design, which calls for two 1.25" vise screws, one 13" and the other 20". The longer length is hard to find -- anyone recommend a source for screws that large in diameter and that long?

Re: Source for vise screws - Martin S. - 05-16-2016

Wooden Screws

Lake Erie Toolworks.

I think Chris Schwarz recommended them.

Re: Source for vise screws - Boatman53 - 05-16-2016

Try contacting this place. http://www.shelterinstitute.com/shop Although it was a couple of years ago when I was there last they had some big screws but I don't see them in the catalog on line. If you don't mind rust busting I have a big one that I believe is bigger than what you are looking for.
Jim

Re: Source for vise screws - Phil S. - 05-16-2016

Enco carries 1-1/4 Acme threaded rod in several pitches in 3' and longer lengths with nuts to match. Not sure how well that would work for a vise. If you have access to a machine shop they may be able to make necessary fittings.

Re: Source for vise screws - WSS - 05-16-2016

I used a scaffolding leveling leg screw (1.25" diameter) and nut - I got a used one from a scaffolding rental place for $15. I think it was 36" long - I had to cut a good chunk off it.

R/
William

Re: Source for vise screws - rwe2156 - 05-17-2016

Wooden screws are expensive you can buy a kit to make your own.

I just built the same type table and used the steel screws Lee Valley has them.

Re: Source for vise screws - Downwindtracker2 - 05-17-2016

The machinery supply places like Enco sell acme threaded rod and nuts.

Re: Source for vise screws - Shovel Man - 05-17-2016

Scaffold leg screws are ok but low precision so they can handle mud and crud.

McMaster Carr has what you need.

Thanks for the info - mschlack - 05-18-2016

McMaster-Carr looks like the best option to me. I can get both screws out of a 3' length. Carbon steel only $42, and about $90 if I want to step up to the heat treated one, although I'm not sure what the benefit would be there. Is heat treated less likely to rust?

Re: Thanks for the info - Shovel Man - 05-18-2016

No, heat treating makes it more durable. 100 years vs 50 years. Go with the regular.