Woodnet Forums
Bee hives- material choice? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bee hives- material choice? (/showthread.php?tid=7287348)

Pages: 1 2

Bee hives- material choice? - goaliedad - 05-21-2016

A co-worker keeps bees. What is the material of choice for hives?

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - John Mihich - 05-21-2016

I don't know what others used. I am in the process in working on getting a beehive with my neighbor. I would be using construction pine - only because it's the cheapest stuff out there; been used for construction for a long time; paints well.

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - MichaelMouse - 05-21-2016

Eastern white pine. Or, if you can find it, bass.

Either paints up well out, and is available cheap and knot free.

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - jteneyck - 05-21-2016

My grand dad used pine for the ones he built.

John

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - bhh - 05-21-2016

pine for the ones I bought from several suppliers.

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - Curlycherry - 05-21-2016

Pine for me too. Keep paint on them and they will last for decades. My brother still has some of the hives I made and that was (eek!) 46 years ago.

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - RPE1 - 05-21-2016

Top Bar Hives from Western Red Cedar. Don't have to paint. Weathers well. Lightweight.

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - MesquiteMan - 05-21-2016

I have used white pine but even with paint, they don't last well in Texas. I just built some with Cypress and expect them to do well since it is naturally decay resistant.

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - Steve N - 05-22-2016

Not having a clue as I have never kept bee's I see several saying pine, and outdoors unless your paint is absolutely covering it I see a lot of decay in using pine. So of the choices mentioned here I would use Cedar as it weathers pretty well unadorned, and is pretty cheap like pine.

Re: Bee hives- material choice? - John Mihich - 05-22-2016

You know your right about cedar. I built a couple of chairs and they have held up for the past 15 years; they sit outside all the time. I painted them but the ceder deck is holding up as well.

I might consider cedar instead of the pine now that you guys brought it up. Cedar is pretty cheap here also. Just use stainless fasteners. I didn't with the chairs and I do have staining. The deck was done with stainless and it's fine.