Woodnet Forums
A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today (/showthread.php?tid=7288190)

A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - SceneryMaker - 05-23-2016

Some disassembly required.

So much wood, so little time. <sigh>

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - MichaelMouse - 05-23-2016

Just beginning disassembly of next year's firewood here, too. Cutting was on high ground again, so lots of hard maple. I stoke once a day at ten below when I have hard maple.

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - Foggy - 05-23-2016

I have a pile of walnut about that size waiting for me in the barn. Someday ............

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - Ruler2112 - 05-23-2016

SceneryMaker said:

Some disassembly required.

So much wood, so little time. <sigh>

I say stuff like this all the time... driving down the road and I'll suddenly exclaim "Look at that gorgeous bowl!" and it'll be a dude with a pickup bed full of firewood, one of which caught my eye as likely having interesting grain. Most of my family has quit paying what little attention they used to, though they wonder as I'm seemingly the only one who can see what's inside wood.

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - Dennis Puskar - 05-23-2016

Nice load of bowls.

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - Arlin Eastman - 05-24-2016

If that was black Cherry I would be SOOOO happy or even some figured Maple. That looked like Ash and it looks good too.

I think I have finally realized there is no such thing as PLAIN wood or Pen blanks since so much can be done or added to it.

Arlin

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - MichaelMouse - 05-25-2016

Arlin Eastman said:

If that was black Cherry I would be SOOOO happy or even some figured Maple. That looked like Ash and it looks good too.

I think I have finally realized there is no such thing as PLAIN wood or Pen blanks since so much can be done or added to it.

Well, They do modify color and pattern over time. This is ash after a season. Some fun, too.

The birch looks good after a year and a half.

Fresh may not always be best!

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - Arlin Eastman - 05-25-2016

I never had any Ash turn like that before and that is pretty nice.

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - Ruler2112 - 05-25-2016

MichaelMouse said:

Well, They do modify color and pattern over time. This is ash after a season. Some fun, too.

So did you stain, dye, or chemically treat the ash to get it to look like that? I've turned ash that's been on the woodpile for 3-4 years and it never gets anything but pale. What did you use to fill the pores so effectively?

Re: A whole load of bowls seen on the road today - MichaelMouse - 05-26-2016

It's Fraxinus nigra, or "black ash." Watch the enunciation. Summer cut with the sap up, so there may have been some fermentation along the way. The wood spalts in a heartbeat, like white birch.

http://www.wood-database.com/wp-content/uploads/black-ash-sealed.jpg