Woodnet Forums
Kreg K4 system - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Kreg K4 system (/showthread.php?tid=7321097)

Pages: 1 2

Kreg K4 system - varkpilot - 07-30-2016

It's that time of yr again when the LOML asks "What do you want for your birthday?"

I've been reasonably happy with my mini-kreg kit but seeing some videos showing the "K4" does make me drool a little!

I don't use pkt hole joinery that much but I'd bet I'd use it more with the K4.

What say you?

RE: Kreg K4 system - paarker - 07-30-2016

From what I heard either the K3 (if you can find it) or the K5 would be a better choice.

RE: Kreg K4 system - varkpilot - 07-30-2016

After I posted, I did a little research and found this WRT the K5; it's one of the very few that is less than 5-star.

For those of you have the K5, thoughts on this comment?

"The concept of pocket hole joinery is literal brilliance and makes carpentry reachable for amatures and beginners. What I cannot understand is why kreg would add and improve features such as the clamp and height adjustment of jig but at the same time remove and change there old way of measuring the drill collet length what a pain I'm really disappointed in why they would take a system so easy and effortless and make it so aggravating and difficult. What if you loose that little plastic block?? And what if you mound your jig to your work bench ???! You can never se the right hole A lot of solid metal that existed on the k4 has been changed to cheep plastic on the k5 I hope kreg isn't selling out like every other company on earth I honestly think I prefer the k4 and will return this k5 and reorder the k4 don't fall for the advertisement and upgrade if you already have a k4 A sticker reminding you of screw length for thickness of wood ??? Why can't I just print that out and scotch tape it to my wall Cheap flimsy storage bins for the bits and accessories Why not just require less accessories and keep the old simple method of adjustments or at least make them out of decent quality material. On a lighter note the drill bit is super sharp and hasn't dulled slightly after drilling hundreds of holes. The driver bit is tough and is magnetic witch I love but witch both existed on k4 as well Please accept my review as I feel it is honest and truthful"

RE: Kreg K4 system - JDuke - 07-30-2016

Go with K3 or K5
Definitely a great tool to have to make pocket screw joinery very easy.
Having the clamp handle in front K3,5 is better than behind K4

Duke

RE: Kreg K4 system - Paladin - 07-30-2016

(07-30-2016, 10:25 AM)varkpilot Wrote: It's that time of yr again when the LOML asks "What do you want for your birthday?"

I've been reasonably happy with my mini-kreg kit but seeing some videos showing the "K4" does make me drool a little!

I don't use pkt hole joinery that much but I'd bet I'd use it more with the K4.

What say you?

I say look at the Porter Cable.

RE: Kreg K4 system - fredhargis - 07-30-2016

I have the K4 (Master kit, I think), and it was a Christmas gift before the K5 came out. While I agree that the handle in front is a better idea, that doesn't (IMHO) make the K4 obsolete. It's quite usable, and nice to have. If you are contemplating the K4, it will do everything you need...but you don't want to second guess yourself for not buying the K5 if you think you want it.

RE: Kreg K4 system - Admiral - 07-30-2016

I'm a big believer in M&T joinery for things that matter; I bought a K4 when I had to make a whole bunch of wainscotting, and used it again today for more of the same. Good for structure that is not weight bearing, like wainscotting and face frames, but in my book that's about it. System is easy and quick to use, has it's place.

RE: Kreg K4 system - gMike - 07-30-2016

I have the K4 and K5.  The K5 beats the K4 hands down.  It's much easier to use the clamp and the drill depth adjustment is not a problem once you do it a couple of times.

RE: Kreg K4 system - Steve N - 07-30-2016

As already suggested buying new with no bad habits to drag along like the reviewer guy was yipping about you will do fine, it will be learning curve all the way, and it isn't very much uphill walking to get there. What you will find on both the 3 and 5 is the throw to operate the clamp is in the front of the jig, so if you ever do a large panel you won't need 2 people to dance around and throw the locking handle while you keep the panel where it is supposed to be.

Watch videos of both the 4 and the 5 and you will see what I am talking about. The depth adjustments could be done by the cavemen that used to stump for Geico on any of the products.

K5

Kreg K4

I would buy the 3 or 5, whichever offers you the best price.

RE: Kreg K4 system - Window Guy - 07-31-2016

I have the K4 and I like it a lot. I don't use it much but is handy for certain projects. I can't speak about the K5 but as I mentioned I am happy with K4.

Steve