Woodnet Forums
Looking for 3" wide blade - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Looking for 3" wide blade (/showthread.php?tid=7328937)

Looking for 3" wide blade - highpi - 03-23-2017

Howdy, anyone have a source for 3" or wider plane blades? I have a coopers plane that needs a new blade. I thought Hock made them that wide but checking their site it looks like 2-5/8" is as wide as they go. Thanks.
Ken

RE: Looking for 3" wide blade - Admiral - 03-23-2017

Call or email Ron Hock, he does do special orders and can likely fix you up.

RE: Looking for 3" wide blade - JimReed@Tallahassee - 03-23-2017

That's a jumbo blade. When you find the blade I hope you also find an apprentice who can wrap a rope around the plane and tug.

RE: Looking for 3" wide blade - highpi - 03-23-2017

Ah, good call. I didn't know he did custom sizes. Of course, it might be hard to use the plane after giving Ron an arm and a leg.
Smile

Cooper's planes are usually 4-6' long and freestanding. Think of a really long jointer plane on a stand and the butt resting on the ground, sole up. The wood is run across the blade as opposed to the blade running across the wood, as in a hand help plane. 

Thanks. I send an email.
Ken

RE: Looking for 3" wide blade - Bibliophile 13 - 03-24-2017

And what, pray tell, are you going to use a cooper's plane for? Are you making barrels or something?

RE: Looking for 3" wide blade - C. in Indy - 03-24-2017

In another life, I made barrels of cash, but I digress
Smile 

Wistfully,

RE: Looking for 3" wide blade - highpi - 03-24-2017

(03-24-2017, 12:53 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: And what, pray tell, are you going to use a cooper's plane for?  Are you making barrels or something?

Yup. Mostly buckets right now and fixing barrels but barrels from scratch are , oddly enough, on the bucket list.