Woodnet Forums
Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay (/showthread.php?tid=7329035)

Pages: 1 2

Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - DCM - 03-27-2017

Wanted to give a heads up as Lazarus planes has a beautiful #4 size smoother up for bidding. Has ebony infill. This plane is listed for $900 on his site (#184) , the bidding starts at $765. I already have several of his planes or I'd bid for sure. They are not inexpensive, but these fantastic planes are hand made with care and guaranteed to put a smile on your face - mine have given me many a smiles.
Highly recommended!!!
David

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - rwe2156 - 03-27-2017

I guess for a ww'er as opposed to a collector, there is no need for a plane that expensive, no matter how well they work.

So I'm wondering what is the investment value in collector tools?

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - Arlin Eastman - 03-27-2017

I envy you David I have always liked his planes and you have a few of them.

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - AHill - 03-27-2017

(03-27-2017, 11:55 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I guess for a ww'er as opposed to a collector, there is no need for a plane that expensive, no matter how well they work.

So I'm wondering what is the investment value in collector tools?

I wouldn't consider DCM, the OP to be a "collector".  He's already stated he uses his Lazarus planes.  I know several well-heeled woodworkers who own expensive planes.  In every case, they are users.  They don't sit on a shelf.  It's like Ferrari's or Lambourghini's.  Folks that can afford them buy them and use them.  It's their money.

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - Martin S. - 03-27-2017

I couldn't find it, can you post a link?

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - Tony (Charleston WV) - 03-27-2017

I'm a big fan of Mateo's planes-I have a couple or so--and I think that, when compared to the prices of planes made by the planemakers with whom we are familiar, his planes are a bargain. Fantastic workmanship, incredibly tight tolerances and a style all his own. Some day soon, he'll be working by commission and the wait will be around the block. I'd bet money on it.

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - Adnick - 03-27-2017

Have one of his early Stanley conversion infills and it's one of my favorite planes, use it almost every day, wish I had some of his new stuff....

Andy

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - Martin S. - 03-27-2017

What do you mean by "Stanley conversion infill"?

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - Adnick - 03-28-2017

Here's a phone photo, not that good but better than me trying to explain.....

RE: Heads up - Lazarus plane fs on ebay - DCM - 03-28-2017

I saw there were no bids for #184 - the minimum bid of $765 would have been a crazy good deal on one heck of a plane - just sayin...

I agree with Tony if you think you want one, you should jump in sooner than later.

Andy - i didn't know he did conversions of older Stanley's. I bet it's a top performer. What size is it?
David