Painting Galvanized Steel
I have an outdoor project coming up and I'd like to paint the exposed galvanized pieces black. I know paint likes to peel off galvanized metal, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a paint that will actually stick. I think I read somewhere that alkyd finishes react with the zinc and peel, but I may not be remembering correctly.
Jason

They have primers designed for use on galvanized.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've used auto spray can primer followed by regular rattle can spray paint & never had a problem.
Make sure the metal is clean & dry before painting it.
Wipe it down well with vinegar then sand it down thoroughly with 200 or finer grit then wipe again with vinegar. Use a metal primer, then paint with any paint. The best durable finish is appliance epoxy spray paint.
Done it all the time with no problems.
Wild Turkey said:

What he said...many, many years ago I used something called Galva Grip primer. May not be made anymore but I'm sure there are others available.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

[blockquote]Wild Turkey said:

What he said...many, many years ago I used something called Galva Grip primer. May not be made anymore but I'm sure there are others available.

[/blockquote]

That's the problem - no one seems to make the primers anymore. At least, not that I can find.
Jason

I will give that a shot. Worst case, I repaint, right?
Jason

Jason28 said:

I will give that a shot. Worst case, I repaint, right?

If you don't sand and clean it with a mild acid, you WILL be repainting it.

The only exception is old galvanized metal that has turned dark grey by the weather. You still must sand it and wash it clean.
Read this, it may help. Oh, by the way, DTM means Direct To Metal, we used it all of the time.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowne...lvanized-metal/
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I think you'll find auto body panels are galvanized. Try an auto paint store.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy