View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking Power Tools

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
boardmaker

Loc: southeast MO
Woodmaster 718 planer dust collection
      #5670910 - 11/07/11 08:03 PM

Just wanting to get some ideas from you guys who own 718's. I am definitely lacking in the dust collection department. I currently am running the 2hp (cough) harbor freight with a thien separator with a 4" hose. I've pretty much hopped up the collector as much as possible, and she still just cannot do it. I've mounted the blower on top of the separator. I've stepped up the suction to a 6" inlet. But, I only have a 4" hose to the planer.

So I'm wondering what everyone else is running, and if you're happy with it. I've thought about reworking the hat on top of the planer to a 6". I know it would help some, but I'm not sure it would be enough.

I'm going to post this a few other places looking for as much input as possible.

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
handi
Honored Veteran

Loc: SW Florida
Re: Woodmaster 718 planer dust collection new [Re: boardmaker]
      #5670969 - 11/07/11 08:42 PM

Planing, sanding or molding? Lol

Some of your answer may be in the particular setup of your Woodmaster.

I have owned two 718s and they both had different hoods.

The newer one I owned had a baffle under the dust hood that helped direct the chips up.

The real issue is that you have front and back openings 18" wide and 3-4" tall (at least) which is a lot of opening for a 4" or even a 6" hose.

I have made many thousands of feet of moldings and planed or sanded hours on end. For me the DC is mostly to keep the airborne stuff cleaned up. I am Aways surprised by both how much stuff gets left behind AND how much ends up in the DC bag.

Ralph

--------------------
www.consultingwoodworker.com

boardmaker

Re: Woodmaster 718 planer dust collection new [Re: handi]
      #5670994 - 11/07/11 09:04 PM

Molding.

I ran 600 feet of molding this past weekend and I would have to stop about every hundred feet and clean out the molder.

I actually made my own baffle to direct the chips up, and I've installed flexible plastic over the openings to force the air under the feed rollers to direct the chips toward the hood. Hopefully.

I don't know what else to do except increase the hose size to 6".

fasteddie

Loc: Richmond, TX
      #5671100 - 11/07/11 10:17 PM

I have a 718 with the newer style hood and I use a 3hp Jet Cyclone dust collector. When I plane and mold I still get dust that needs to be vacuumed up, I guess its the nature of the beast and the dust pick-up won't be 100%, more like 75%.

Regards!
Ed

only 3 injuries

#5671783 - 11/08/11 12:11 PM

Is it feasable to make a diy dust hood? I did that after i bought my cyclone I made new hoods for all my stationary tools to take 6" pipe.

boardmaker

Re: Woodmaster 718 planer dust collection new [Re: only 3 injuries]
      #5671795 - 11/08/11 12:15 PM

That's what I'm thinking of doing. It seems most are using a 3 hp dust collector.

nlbrewe

Loc: Northern Virginia
      #5672773 - 11/09/11 04:35 AM

I helped my friend Paul with his 718. We cut out the 4" port with a plasma cutter and were able to fit in a new 5" ring. Here's what he says:

My planer is the Woodmaster 718. We put on a 5-ich port where the old 4-inch port used to be. The new port is connected to about 8 ft of 5-inch flex line, and then the duct goes up to 6-inch almost all the way to the cyclone. The cyclone is the 2.5 hp Oneida. Before the conversion, the dust collector was missing about 10% of the dust/chips. After the conversion, I would say it misses about 2% of the dust/chips, so it is a great improvement. Also, I don't really smell the dust anymore like I used to when I had the previous setup.

I think the problem with the setup described below is that he has a 4-inch hose (choke point). Also, I suspect the Harbor Freight machine isn't really adequate - when you look at the suction curves for the cheaper dust collectors, it's pretty clear they don't work as well as the industrial quality ones.

Bøb

Loc: S.E. Tennessee
Re: Woodmaster 718 planer dust collection new [Re: nlbrewe]
      #5672960 - 11/09/11 08:01 AM

I went directly to 6" piping just because it's what I used in the whole shop. In these pictures, you ca pretty plainly see how & where we modified the hood to take the 6" pipe AND the way I closed up the big gaps between the works and the bed, both front and back. That was simply some old leftover plastic that I fitted in place to force the air more where I need it. I wish I could upload some decent video of this thing in operation. Once in a great while, a chip will escape, but it is rare. I can plane/sand/mold and ALMOST nothing gets out.

--------------------

rhino

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Re: Woodmaster 718 planer dust collection new [Re: nlbrewe]
      #5672973 - 11/09/11 08:10 AM

I have an older blue 718. I took a piece of 1/2 or so cherry and used it, along with some double stick tape, to block off the air intake from the outfeed side of the machine. this has helped a great deal with DC.

I still have the 4 inch fitting, and have used it with a flex hose and a Delta 50-760. I had adequate results. with 4 inch flex attached to 5 and 6 inch metal ducting to the DC.

Then I got a cyclone - a used Woodsucker 2hp cyclone. My DC has improved. Chips are being cleared well, but I'm still getting chips out of the front and the back of the machine when I plane wide boards or use the sides of the cutterhead.

Interestingly, when I use my 16/32, I get great DC, so I'm thinking that if I improved the seal around the cutterhead a bit better, the airflow might improve and along with that the chip collection. Frankly though, my chip collection is adequate, I work in a shop separated from my house and i run an ambient air cleaner and use an N95 mask, so I doubt I'll be making any changes right now.

--------------------
Tools that are no good require greater skill.

MesquiteMan

Loc: San Marcos, TX
      #5674153 - 11/09/11 07:44 PM

I have one of the beige 718's. I don't know if that is a newer one or older one (I bought it used). It has the 4" port on it and then about 4' of 4" flex going to 6" PVC all the way to my Clearvue cyclone. I get excellent collection and seldom have any chips escape and never any dust escape. I ran 2,000 lf of custom molding for a house I built and the chips that escaped would not have filled a coffee cup 1/2 full.

Your problem is the HF DC just does not move enough air!

--------------------
Curtis

www.Turntex.com
Cactus Juice Stabilizing Solutions

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, fivestring©™±, EightFingers, thooks, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5757

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4