View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking Power Tools

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
BrentDH

Loc: Rochester, MN
Minimax MM16 vs S45
      #6369993 - 05/10/13 03:14 PM

I have been looking for a "good" bandsaw for a long time and I think I may have finally found one that I can afford. I found a very lightly used Minimax S45 for $1300. When he first advertised it he didn't specify a model number and I assumed from the description that it was a MM16, unfortunately it turns out to be an S45 instead. What are the differences between the S45 and the MM16? The guy claims he bought it in 2004 and has only used it a handful of times. I was just wondering if there are any upgrades that have occurred since then that I should be aware of or any other specific characteristics I should look for when examining it. Is this a good deal? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Edited by BrentDH (05/10/13 04:29 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
knotscott

Loc: Rochester, NY
Re: Minimax MM16 - what has changed since 2004 new [Re: BrentDH]
      #6370092 - 05/10/13 04:25 PM

$1300 is a pretty decent buy for an MM16, even if it doesn't have the most recent updates. A friend had one that he got sometime around 2003 to 2004 range...IIRC, it was 3.6hp and had 13" resaw. Sometime after he got his, the motor got bigger and the resaw capacity grew, but I couldn't tell you when. Even with the smaller motor and only 13"resaw, it's just an outstanding machine that's in a completely different league than any of the more common Asian imports. MM is a class act.

Edit:
I'm less familiar with the S45, but I know it's marketed below the MM16.... therefore the value wouldn't be as attractive @ $1300.

--------------------
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Edited by knotscott (05/10/13 05:39 PM)

bob.h

Loc: Ohio
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: BrentDH]
      #6370150 - 05/10/13 05:23 PM

If you are expecting the S45 to be even remotely similar to the MM16, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment! $1300 for an S45 is about $800 more than the most I'd consider paying for even a lightly used one. Just my opinion. The saw is worth whatever you or someone else is willing to pay for it.

RegardsBob

skizzo

Loc: San Jose
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: BrentDH]
      #6370252 - 05/10/13 07:55 PM

From the current minimax-usa.com website:

Resaw: SN45 - 12", MM16 - 16"
HP: SN45 - 2.5hp, MM16 - 4.8hp
Weight: SN45 - 390 lbs, MM16 - 530 lbs

Very different machines. I see SN45s typically listed in the $700 - $900 range, MM16s $1500+. I used to have an MM16 and it was a fabulous bandsaw. I've heard that SN45s are certainly nice saws along the lines of comparable Jet and Grizzly machines, but not in the same class as the MM16.

--------------------
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow

Rick F
Member formerly Jokerbird

Loc: Vancouver Island Canada
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: skizzo]
      #6370258 - 05/10/13 07:59 PM

$1300 is a bit rich for an S45 .. For an MM-16 its a great bargain.

If however the saw is clean and running good, you might consider it ..

There is much to be said for actually spending the money and getting down to cutting wood !

Israel

Loc: SF,CA,USA
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: Rick F]
      #6370410 - 05/10/13 10:51 PM

I have a 2009 MM16. You don't see them come up much on the used market and I was very fortunate to have a Woodnet member (Skizzo!) send me a PM when he saw it on Craigslist. It's an awesome machine!

Jeremy s

Loc: wichita kansas
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: Israel]
      #6370438 - 05/10/13 11:44 PM

How much is a new MM16?

Kind of funny..The minimax 18" saw doesnot even weigh half as much as a Powermatic 18". Heck even the Minimax 20" does not even weigh as much as the Powermatic 18".

knotscott please explain exactly how the mm16 is in a completely diffirent league then any of the imports, primarily the Powermatic.

I dont own a bandsaw, just wondering. But i have used the new Powermatic quite a bit and dont have anything bad to say about it. What am i not noticing?

--------------------
makin' motors hot

skizzo

Loc: San Jose
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: Jeremy s]
      #6370453 - 05/11/13 12:42 AM

Jeremy s said:

How much is a new MM16?

For the most part, without talking directly to MM USA, it's not easy to get pricing details publicly. But they have typically been in the $3000 range new, at least up until a year or two ago. Without speaking for knotscott, it's kind of hard to compare the MM16 to the PM1800 at $4800. The difference between those two saws in capacity and cost is at least as great as the upgrade from the SN45 to a MM16.

--------------------
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow

Rick F
Member formerly Jokerbird

Loc: Vancouver Island Canada
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: skizzo]
      #6370471 - 05/11/13 03:09 AM

Not sure on the entirely different league but I prefer European machinery over Asian, especially when the Asian is more money .

I did some snooping.. compared to MM-20

The Mini Max has flat tires while the PM uses crowned. The PM has 2 inches less resaw height and still uses crowned rims..

The MM-20 has a European Motor ..

The MM-20 is actually less money than the PM..

This is taken from Simonds Saw Site...

"The more crown on the wheels, the more tension [that is, the more curvature when hammered] is required in the saw, and the strain on the saw is greater. General practice demonstrates that band saws last longer, have a better “set” on the wheels, and will stand a heavier feed if the wheels are perfectly flat face than if they have even a little crown. It may be accepted as something of a defect in any band mill if it is necessary to resort to much crown in the wheels to keep the saw on them."

knotscott

Loc: Rochester, NY
Re: Minimax MM16 vs S45 new [Re: Jeremy s]
      #6370502 - 05/11/13 05:29 AM

Jeremy s said:

Knotscott please explain exactly how the mm16 is in a completely diffirent league then any of the imports, primarily the Powermatic.

I've never used the PM 18" or checked one out thoroughly up close, so can't comment on that one specifically, but I always thought that the big Jets and Grizzlies were nice saws until I saw the Jet and MM16 up close about 20 feet apart at a show... the MM16 simply has notably beefier construction. The wheels are heavier, the welds are more plentiful and heavier, the steel housing is considerably thicker, the trunnions are heavier, the machining is better, etc.....just about everything you can compare on the saws is usually noticeably better on the MM16. Minimax's CS is among the best I've witnessed, and the sales staff I've spoken with are a class act. It's hard to predict how that equates directly to performance, because all cutting machine performance boils down to setup and blade, but the housing on the MM16 is certainly less likely to flex under load than most Asian imports (I should have clarified typical "Asian" imports, because most of the Italian saws are top notch, and I'm sure there are others). Had I not seen the MM16 in person so close to the Jet, and used a friend's on several occasions, I'd have no idea that saws like the Jet, Grizzly, Rikon, GI, etc., weren't roughly comparable. That's not saying those saws aren't capable of good work, but the construction isn't on par with the MM16. Maybe someone with more direct experience can offer more insights.

--------------------
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, fivestring©™±, EightFingers, thooks, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1905

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4