Bandsaw Upper Wheel Bearings Shot?
I'm trying to determine if I need to replace the bearings in the upper bandsaw wheel or if I have a different issue.

This is a Delta 28-243 and when my son used it a few weeks ago the upper wheel pretty much locked up on him. It would not turn by hand so I took the bolt off and pulled the wheel off. I cleaned a bunch of sawdust off the back and I put the wheel back on and it spun freely (without the bolt). I then put the bolt on and it came to a screeching halt (literally).

Does it sound like the bearings are shot or is it something else?

I have a video of it uploaded to Photobucket and hopefully the link will work for others. It's a six second video and the sound starts about the four second mark.

ScreechingBandsaw

I believe he was ripping some 3/4" thick pine...nothing too hard or different than what he has done in the past. The saw is at my late Father-in-law's house and my son uses it from time to time since he doesn't have one.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
When you had the wheel off could you turn the bearing to see if was turning freely?
Doesn't sound like a bearing, more like the wheel rubbing on something behind it. Was there a washer on the back side of the wheel? Bolt/washer and anything else should only press on the inside bearing race.
Looking at the video a few more times, I see an area through the wheel to the right in video that looks like something has been rubbing (steel on steel). I think some kind of spacer for the back side of wheel on the shaft is missing. Just my guess.
I agree with the others here, that sound is metal against metal and since it doesn't start until the nut is tightened that leads me to believe the backside of the wheel is rubbing on something.

If you go to this site and look at Page A you'll notice at the top of the pic is the tensioner assembly that the wheel shaft mounts onto. Note the parts starting with the shaft #26, first to go on the shaft is a washer #25 which they call a special washer. It that washer on your BS?

Another possibility could be with the tensioner assembly, make sure it hasn't broken or worked loose in some way, other than that we'd need to see more pics of the using with the wheel removed.
My bet is its rubbing due to a bent wheel shaft. Its a common failure that happens when you over tension the saw. I know, I've replaced mine.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Yup definitely something dragging but not a bearing. I have had several breaking issues on various band saws. They have either been sloppy or totally locked up due to being a metal shield bearing and the bearing getting full of very fine sawdust eventually locking the bearing.
Thanks everyone for their responses.

I didn't see a washer on the backside of the wheel so I think that is the issue. I will double-check the next time I'm out there (and check the floor around the BS in case it fell off when I took the wheel and didn't see or hear it fall). I'm a little concerned since it appears to be a discountinued item although I did find a site who says it would ship in 30 - 120 days. I may have to do some serious scrounging around...my FIL owned a hardware store for a while and has all kinds of boxes of washers, bolts, screws in the shop - I doubt I'll find a match but I can hope!

I will also take a closer look at the wheel shaft to make sure it's not bent. I know that the bandsaw went years without being used and I believe that it was fully tensioned the whole time.
You can buy shaft shims at mcmaster that will substitute for the washer if need be. I got some for my Jet BS.

The washer, shaft and hinge can be substituted with Grizzly parts most likely. And Grizzly parts are available.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Thanks Mr. Mike, I'll keep that in mind.