Festool - thinking of taking the leap...
I am contemplating joining the Festool club by buying a sander for general woodworking. I am not currently happy with my power sanders for finish work. I always get swirl marks, even with high end paper.

My dilemma is which sander is the best fit for my needs. I have been looking at the Rotex RO 125 and the ETS 125.

Does the Rotex do as good a job at fine sanding as the ETS? I have been prowling around on the Festool forum, and the contributors there seem pretty split on the issue. If the Rotex is just as good at fine sanding, I would be tempted to buy it for its superior stock removal.

Also, should I be considering the 6" sanders? I figure that for the size of project that I do, I don't really need that size. Are they much heavier?

What do you all have to say?

Thanks,

Bubba
If your looking for finishing, start with the ETS 125.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Does the Rotex finish sand as well as the ETS?
I've owned a bunch of Festool sanders including the Rotex 125 and 150 as well as the the ETS 125 and 150/3.
If you are after the best finish sander then IMO, the ETS 150/3 is what you want. IMO it is a much nicer sander than the ETS 125. In fact, I'm not a fan of the ETS 125 and would tell you to look at some of the other manufacturers sanders that don't cost quite so much.
The Rotex sanders are nice for certain tasks and I still have a Rotex 125 that gets used rather frequently in my shop but it is rarely used for finish sanding.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
second that - get the ETS 150/3. you'll never go back for finish sanding.

i have a number of festool sanders, but the 150/3 is the "go-to" unless it's a specialty application like narrow face frames, etc.
The Rotex needs a break in period and (to me) the handle doesn't feel as comfortable as the ets for long periods of sanding. That said, if it's in the budget, I would take a look at the mirka ceros as well.
I have the ETS 150/5 and the R2 - wouldn't give up either one. Haven't seen the need for a Rotex or one of the smaller ones.
If swirl marks are your main issue, you want something with a small offset like the ETS125. The Festool paper is good quality but you can get other discs that won't leave swirl marks without buying a Festool. I like Indasa paper, Rhyno Discs (and 2sand.com is a good dealer). The Rhyno discs on my Makaita do a great job without the swirl marks I had from any paper I bought at the BORG.

You don't mention a dust extractor. Without the dust extractor the Festool sanders are ordinary. Most of Festool power tools are designed around the dust extractors.

I own the Makita, A Festool ETS125 and a Mirka Cerros. All do a good job but the more expensive ones are lighter and quieter with better dust collection.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Are you not using autonet anymore? What are you using on your ceros?
I'm not suggesting you don't get a Festool. I have a number of their tools, no sanders, that I am happy with.

But, if you can't get a good finish with anything else, it might be technique rather than the tool. If that's the case you might not be all that impressed with any new sanders.
See ya later,
Bill