Jointer Comparison: Powermatic vs. Laguna 12" Helical head
I am replacing my 30 year old jointer and am looking at the Powermatic 12" vs. Laguna (both with their spiral cutter heads). Laguna has a larger motor (5hp vs 3hp) and more cutter heads (84 vs. 44). Both are roughly 800lbs. table adjustment are wheel (front mounted on Laguna) vs. lever on the Powermatic. Price advantage goes to Laguna.

Does anyone have personal experience with these tools or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
How do they compare price wise to felder/hammer or minimax?

Any consideration to used?

I love my dj30 delta 12. If i was replacing it with something new i would go grizzly or shopfox or spend the coin for euro.

If it had to be pm or laguna, if the pm had a true byrd yead id go that way just for knife availability.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

sounds to me like you already made up your mind based on the specs /price

the only downside is dealing with Laguna and their very aggressive sales staff and the lack of CS after the sale

But my experience here is old so YMMV

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks Mike, I did not realize Felder made a stand alone jointer (vs. combination machines). They make a 16", which I have requested a price quote for.

Have you had better experiences with Grizzly vs. the others?

Thanks
Did you consider the Grizzly G0609X at $2980 shipped?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Joint...ead/G0609X

SPECIFICATIONS:
Motor: 3 HP, 230V, single-phase, 15A
Precision-ground cast iron table
Table size: 12-3/4" x 83-1/2"
Floor to table height: 31-5/8"
Maximum depth of cut: 1/8"
Rabbeting capacity: 3/4"
Cutterhead diameter: 3-3/4"
Cutterhead: Spiral with indexable carbide inserts
Cutterhead speed: 4300 RPM
Switch: Magnetic with thermal overload protection
Fence stops at 45°, 90°, and 135°
Footprint: 84" x 33"
Approximate shipping weight: 1059 lbs.

FEATURES:
Parallelogram table movement
Pedestal-mounted switch controls
Center-mounted fence
Fine handwheel control
Infeed and outfeed tables have handwheels for convenient table height adjustment
5" dust port
Serpentine belt and pulleys
My experience is only with the 8" spiral head Parallelogram bed Griz, but I have had DJ's in the past and feel this is every bit as good a tool. I would think the 12" or 16" Griz models would also be very big bang for the buck. I am certain $1,000.00 would be the most I would gamble on Laguna based on all I've heard here about CS nightmares, and PM is just paying for a paintjob. I firmly believe any of the Chinese/Taiwanese tools are close enough in function that the lowest price with any form of CS is a good bet. Griz has way better than so so CS.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You might compare amperage that both units require. The larger 5 hp unit may need a larger breaker and wiring than what you presently have set up. This may be something you can upgrade yourself.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
Hi Cian - Thanks for the input. I looked at this model by Grizzly and was wondering about the spiral cutter head. It seems to have fewer insert blades and they are orientated at 90' to the wood. Will this result in more tear out compared to a shear cut from a helical head?

Thanks - John
John were you comparing the "fewer" cutters to the more expensive 12" Griz? Or another machine?

If you noted the 90* on the Griz site I believe they were saying you can turn the knives 90* as they are 4 sided. If you nick a knife and note it leaves a flaw in the finish, turn it 90* and you have a fresh cutting edge. The knives are bedded at a lesser angle, somewhere near 45*.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
John, I think I read reviews on the different insert systems, whether the insert was straight or had an arc, made very little difference. For some posts with a different point of view, see here web page