Grizzly Planner Adjustment Question
I have a Grizzly 15" spiral head planner. It leaves lines on the board very close together that I'm assuming are from the outfeed roller.

I get them even if I take a full cut which for me is 1 full turn of the handle.

I have adjusted the bed rollers to be flush with the table, and have taken a little tension off of the rollers but haven't noticed a change.

It this normal?
Am I missing an adjustment?

The lines take a bit to sand out at 80 grit so I'd prefer to get rid of them or minimize them, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Have you spun the knives in that area?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

sroxberg said:

I have adjusted the bed rollers to be flush with the table, and have taken a little tension off of the rollers but haven't noticed a change.

the bed rollers are suppose to be slightly above the table.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I get the marks on the full width and they run at a 90 degree to the direction of feed so it is not the knives, it has to be one of the rollers.

I've started with the rollers above the bed and the Grizzly tech told me to move them down.
Sounds like the infeed roller. There should be some set screws that adjust the spring pressure for the roller. Back 'em off a bit.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
sroxberg said:

I get the marks on the full width and they run at a 90 degree to the direction of feed so it is not the knives, it has to be one of the rollers.

I've started with the rollers above the bed and the Grizzly tech told me to move them down.

Well i think you moved them down too far.

your lines are from the outfeed roller, the infeed roller is spiral cut

You can raise the outfeed roller but it is not the spring holders on the top it is the lock screws under that you adjust

pg 38 and 39 hold the info you need to do the adjustments on the outfeed roller

I would not raise the outfeed more than about .007" max based on the spec given any more and you start getting into the stopped stock potential kickback range

You do not need a rotacator to make this adjustment all you need is a block of 2x4 about 4" long beveled on top to a 1x3~ top and a feeler gauge

And the tech at Grizz who said lower the table rollers is incorrect, the table rollers have to be about .003-.005" above the table.

Otherwise there is no point in having them at all.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The 2 planers I have owned and a friends, both have serrated infeed roller and a smooth outfeed.
On my planer I just back off infeed tension for light cuts in soft wood.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Quote:

On my planer I just back off infeed tension for light cuts in soft wood

I am not aware of a planer that has a smooth outfeed roller

Which one(s)?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I've got a King brand 16" planer- the outfeed roller is smooth.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.