12v vs 18v Impact drivers
I have the original Bosch 10.8v impact driver and after reading so much from others how much they like their impacts I'm thinking of gettin a new one. I've always found mine to be loud and slow. In fact I think the 12v drill does as good of a job as that impact and it's far less annoying to use.

Anyway I know Bosch has newer versions out now and wondered if the 12v version is improved or if I should just get the 18v version. I should mention I'm rather vested in the 12v Bosch tools and I've got larger pneumatic impacts for the real work.
I have a 12V Bosch and a 18v Dewalt. World of difference and the Dewalt, for the past 3 months, has served yeoman's duty in an industrial setting, with very heavy use. Batteries were new (2), tool was a refurb. Simply great.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
It all depends what you are using them for. If it will be around the shop use then the 12 volt will be fine. Building a deck or something else along those lines, get the 18 volt.

You could always get both and be ready for anything.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I have the 10V Li Hitachi and find it to be perfect for most jobs. It is very fast and has plenty of power. I have a 18V drill and impact as well but unless it is a huge job I always reach for the 10V due to its lighter weight and smaller size.

When I really need something with oomph I just grab my pneumatic impact.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I have the Hitachi 12V impact and drill set and like them a lot. The impact driver is pretty impressive; the drill not so much. But it's still nothing like my Milwaukee 18V drill/driver set. The Milwaukee impact driver will drive a 6" structural screw into a PT 6 x 6 without a problem. The Hitachi has around 750 in-lbs of torque, the Milwaukee around 1400. Surprisingly, the Milwaukee is shorter front to back and can fit into smaller spaces, too. I prefer the 12V Hitachi set for cabinet work because of it's light weight, but if I could only have one, it would be the Milwaukee set. If you need a cordless set to do real work, you need to step up to the 18V units. But don't expect any impact driver to be quiet. By their very design they are loud.

John
I have both the Bossch 12 and 18V drill drivers. I reach for the 12v angle drill driver about 80% of the time for routine tasks. But when I need to drive a lag bolt or drill steel or concrete I reach for the 18v. IMHO the reason to upgrade is the universal chuck which allows you to use both hex shaft and regular bits. Whether or not that's a good enough reason depends on how you use the tool not the volts.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
jteneyck said:

But don't expect any impact driver to be quiet. By their very design they are loud.

John

I don't expect it to be quiet, but I expect to not have to listen to it very long. My Bosch is just slow as anything and often times my drill/driver can sink the screw as far as the impact can and in about 1/3rd of the time.
I gave up on my Bosch 10/12v impact and reach straight for my 18v. World of difference in power.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

The only reason I would not consider an 18V would be the weight of the tool-marked difference between my 18V and the 12V Bosch.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
the lithium batteries has cut the tool weight down significantly, but an 18v is going to weight more than a 12v.

I'm not bothered by the difference in weight.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark