big drill?
I need to drill a 9/16" x 24" long hole through a tree to brace a weak fudge . I will be using an auger designed for it. This is usually done with a gas drill, but that is not in the budget. I have done shorter bores with 18V Li-Ion Milwaukee...it eats the battery but works. Obviously a bigger drill will do better. I am OK with corded. Looking for recommendations under $200 ($100 is even better...). Would a smaller 1" 10amp rotary hammer that is set to "drill only" be the best option or a bigger 1/2" drill? Thanks!

(PSA: let this serve as a reminder to not plant Callery pear trees...or to prune them properly if you have to plant one because you like their fishrot scented flowers so much)
One time use?? check your local tool rental place
opticsguy said:

One time use?? check your local tool rental place

This.

Go rent a Milwaukee hole hog.

Ed
One more time: go rent what you need. I've used a 1/2" ship auger with a Milwaukee 1/2" magnum drill a lot and it seems to be plenty strong enough for it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Normally I would not recommend anything electrical from Harbor Freight but I needed one like what you are looking for a few years ago and I bought link. It has worked well for me over the years. I do NOT use it a lot every day but with the ubiquitous 20% off HF coupons it turns out pretty cheap and if it craps out they will, within the 30 day period you can bring it back. Extended warranty is cheap, too. If it is a one time only, never use it again, then rental is a good idea. Kills me to recommend HF for electrical but this is one tool that has worked OK for me.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
I will use it other times. As I said I usually use the 18V cordless. This is a longer hole than I normally do, so seems like a good time to upgrade and quit burning up a good cordless drill. I will use the bigger drill if I have it.

re: Harbor Freight...I know what you mean. I'd rather spend the money once on quailty, but they do have a place in the world. I was actually looking at <a href="harborfreight.com/1-18-in-10-amp-heavy-duty-sds-variable-speed-rotary-hammer-69274" >this rotary hammer</a> (didn't want to admit it...but since you brought HF up... ) thinking that for $90 (will they let me use 20% with that bringing it to $72?) it should make short work of the present needs and be available if I ever felt the need to drill concrete. Over 250 ratings and 4.5 stars probably make it relatively "safe". same with the one you posted 4* is better than the others with 3* or less.
Craigslist and garage sales often find hole hogs for $20 - $50. It's one of those tools that you might not use often, but is perfect for the occasional time you do need it.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Way back in the Olden Days, our company linemen used a brace and bit to drill through dry, creosote treated power poles to attach cross arms and brackets...They were pretty tough guys....

Later on, they used an air impact wrench..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

JosephP said:

I was actually looking at &lt;a href="harborfreight.com/1-18-in-10-amp-heavy-duty-sds-variable-speed-rotary-hammer-69274.html" &gt;this rotary hammer&lt;/a&gt; (didn't want to admit it...but since you brought HF up... ) thinking that for $90 (will they let me use 20% with that bringing it to $72?) it should make short work of the present needs and be available if I ever felt the need to drill concrete. Over 250 ratings and 4.5 stars probably make it relatively "safe". same with the one you posted 4* is better than the others with 3* or less.

A hammer drill will not help you drill holes in wood faster. You need an impact drill for that. Hammer drills are best suited for drilling into concrete, masonry, brick, etc. The drill you are trying to link to even says for wood, you use the rotary motion only. If you believe you need the hammer function, then go ahead and get it. It does have a 10 amp motor. Just not sure how much of that 10 amps goes to hammering vs. torque on the motor.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'll seccond the hf route. For tools you use rarely it's not bad at all. And it's typically cheaper than renting a drill.

That sds drill link didn't work but if it's the red one that's on sale for as little as $60 it's a very good drill. That's what the pro tile guys use. They used to use bosch but those spent more time in the shop than on the job site. They buy the hf with the warranty and if it dies just go exchange for a new one. The owner said he gets about a year of use before exchanging it where as the big bosch would last about 6 months before dying.
However like mentioned it's not the right drill for a auger bit.