Dado blade: am I missing something?
I've been looking at dado blades recently, mostly on the web. I live in a small town, and the only place that stocks anything is Canadian Tire. I was looking at their blade (made in China, probably from a different manufacturer every year) and I can't see how it can possibly work.
It's hard to tell from the picture on the web site web page but with 24 tooth outer blades and the shape of the chippers, there isn't enough room for the chipper to fit between the teeth of the blade; the chipper will always touch the carbide of at least one tooth. Am I missing something? Is this a defective design?
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
chipper carbide tooth should fit in the gullet of the outer blade. From the picture it looks like there's enough room for it to.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

The chippers do fit in between the teeth on the outer blades,. At least on mine which is a Freud. Just have faith.

I am sure you can send them back if the don't or are defective.

Tom
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was able to actually open this one up and look at it. No matter how I played with it, the chipper wouldn't clear the teeth. I wonder if anyone has made this work, or if the product is literally unusable.
Sorry, can't figure out how to post pictures, but here are links to a couple of photos I took:
Picture 1
picture 2
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
I think all you need to do is in picture #1, rotate the chipper about 1/2" counter clockwise. They the tooth will be in the gullet of the outer blade and it should then clear. (at least that is what I do on my dado set)
It looks pretty clear from your pictures that the chipper can be rotated to fit in the opposing gullets. Maybe we're missing something.
Bob

I can't tell for sure, but from those pictures it looks like the chipper material behind the chipper tooth will contact the outer blade teeth when the chipper tooth is in the gullet.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

If the chipper is rotated just a little bit it's tooth fits in the gullet of the outer blade. There has to be some overlap of the teeth or it would leave thin sections of uncut wood in the dado slot, much like one would get with several passes of just a saw blade. I'm often doing one dado and it isn't worth the time to switch blades and fiddle for the right width so I'm always cleaning those out of the slot. Remember all those blades stacked up to made the dado width spin as one, they don't pass each other. If they do you forgot to tighten the arbor nut.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
The two outside saw blades have a right and a left (they are not interchangeable) also and as I recal the teeth are biased to the outside when set up properly.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Those look like my set of Oldham stacking dado blade. The chippers look identical. The chippers fit fine between the outside blade gullets on the set I have. I'm sure those will too.

Johnet