GeeTech 15" Planer, help

This 15 year old planer has been in storage for ten or so years should I buy it? It has had no maintenance. Has the original knives. Runs but leaves knife marks down the length of the board plus it has a sticky feed needing pushing to get the board thru.

Nobody on the web is selling this brand of planer but there are similar models for sell from Jet and Grizzly. Can I get parts and where? Do I need to order Jet or Grizzly and then try to use those parts (there is a spare set of unused knives). Price is $500 is that too high?

Replies much appreciated!

Chuck

P.S. the web site address works when I paste it into a browser what am I doing wrong?

too many http at the front.

should you buy it? probably for $400 given the issues,which likely all could be solved by cleaning it up and making adjustments to all the important parts. Most everything you described is just an adjustment (well several) to take care of

I don't know about parts availability while it is true that most of these were made in one factory you would have to do some sleuthing to figure out the crossover models.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have that exact planer, it jus has a Jet badge on it (same color and all). Parts are widely available and I got mine from grizzly.

Is it worth $500? I'd say yes if you enjoy tuning up machinery like I do. Got mine for around $400 IIRC and it was in similar condition but had surface rust and no in/out feed rollers.

Sounds to me like you will need New or sharpened blades and some new gear oil, the rest is time to adjust. Parts are shared with a few companies these days like Grizzly, Powermatic/Jet. Oh, and a dust hood unless you enjoy a pile of chips shooting out the back. Use that as a bargaining chip and offer $400 and see what happens. (Though Grizzly shows the hood for $3.75, which may be a misprint).

Having to force the board through is a sign the pressure of the feed rollers isnt adjusted, lower rollers need adjusted, or the bed needs cleaned/waxed.

I say go for it!
Thanks for the help with the picture. Yes I'm thinking the download of the manual for the Jet 15" planer looks so much like the GeeTech manual but written in English with good photos, that maybe those parts cross over. But it is a risk and maybe I can get something off the price for the risk.
Southern ILlinois
Between you and me and the forum, there's no risk. Between you and the seller, there's a risk!

And by the way, the planer is probably closer to 30 years old than 15.
Try to get it cheaper, but it will serve you well once cleaned up.

I have a very similar planer and I used Grizzly parts where necessary. I needed new feed roller bearings. They were worn through. Fit perfectly.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Looks like a gamble to me. My best offer would be $300, and that's if it ran, and wasn't rusted to death. And only if I needed a planer now.
I recently bought an old Delta 13" planer, and just cleaned it up, and all is fine.
Import machinery has improved quite a bit in the past years.
"Past years" are the key words. I really don't know years when some import machines were inferior, to other years. Newer is better with imports (Asian imports)
I would rather buy an old Delta (Yeah, I know the parts problem) and maybe have bearings and belts to replace.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Got it for $400 and is delivered to my shop! I'm busy getting acquainted with it and as a first step started working on the painted surfaces and a little on the surface rust. I'm giving myself off for the whole day today and hope to be able to change blades, change gear grease, check out the pulleys, etc. Found a real good video at Grizzly on their similar planer the G0543 (correct #?).

Thanks again for your help!

Chuck
Southern ILlinois
Make sure to check the bearings.

Good deal!
And lubricate the feed roller bearings. Nobody seems to remember to do that.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry