Sawstop vs Bosch lawsuit news -- SawStop says it will win
http://www.businesswire.com/news/financi...%E2%80%93-Reaxx

If SawStop does win the first round, Bosch may appeal and drag on depending on the ruling and merits of the case.

Simon
of course they think that, why would you ever sue someone else and then say we're going to lose?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I'd love to see the discovery in this case.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hoping Bosch would come out with a response to SawStop's news release, stating perhaps Bosch also expects to win...otherwise potential customers may sit on the fence.

Simon
Handplanesandmore said:

Hoping Bosch would come out with a response to SawStop's news release, stating perhaps Bosch also expects to win...otherwise potential customers may sit on the fence.

Simon

Dated April 6, they did release a statement. I would guess Bosch has pretty smart attorneys working for them, and if they didn't think they'd prevail in court, they wouldn't have started the path toward production.

“The REAXX Jobsite Table Saw is not a reinvention of the table saw category. Actually, the REAXX saw builds on the Bosch heritage of precision cutting tools and adds an extra layer of user safety,” said Jim Stevens, product manager, Robert Bosch Tool Corporation. “Bosch is a leader in the portable table saw market, it makes sense that the REAXX Jobsite Table Saw incorporates great precision with the latest user interface and injury mitigation technology.”

You can read their whole release here:
Bosch Reaxx Table Saw Press Release
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There is one very telling comment in the SS press release that shows just how callous they truly are regarding personal safety. They want to block replacement cartridges for existing Bosch saws, thereby rendering the safety device useless on those saws.

It's one thing to prevent future sales of the saw, but to prevent replacement cartridges says they don't really give a hoot about woodworker safety, just money!
Views of intellectual property rights on public forums always amaze me. I work in high tech and intellectual property is the life blood of our industry. We spend hundreds of millions of dollars on developing a technology and if others can just copy it companies will just stop inventing. You will just then be left with companies that copy. This extends to music and movies too. If all music is pirated then artists and labels will stop creating content.

But then consumers don't want to pay for anything and rather than not buying they steal the content. This is the same for technology. Sawstop invests to invent and patent revolutionary technology. They tried to sell licenses to the tech and Bosch said no. Bosch does their own which may or may not infringe on patents Sawstop has. Seems pretty clear to me. If I were betting, I'd bet that Sawstop is well protected with Patents as they were founded by a Lawyer and they apparently went to extensive lengths to protect their inventions with patents.
competition is good for the consumer and the market, as long as the competition doesn't infringe on the guys patents....which is what the courts decide.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

That's true. Not with the SawStop & Bosch case in mind, however, small players often cannot afford to go to court when an infringement does take place.

I don't know much to have an informed opinion on the case, but I think both sides are going to have a long battle here.

Simon
IP really isn't the lifeblood of high tech. First to market with the best product is the lifeblood of high tech. You have to have patents because otherwise your competitors will sue you. If nobody could do that, we would still have plenty of innovation. It takes longer to get a patent than the lifetime of most products. They simply aren't necessary in high tech.

It seems that the standard for patents has changed for the better, it just hasn't propagated all the way through the system. So many patents are simply a vehicle to run up bills and waste the taxpayer's money running courts to use the full power of the government for private gain. We don't get enough out of it to pay for it, patent fees should be a lot higher.

One of my favorite examples of how patents hold back progress is 3d printers. There is a lot of innovation now. Why? The basic patents have expired. So now there is going to be a new round of patents. So I would expect a new round of innovation in 20 years.