Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | (show all)
zipzit

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Re: Cutting LONG boards to exact length? new [Re: David G]
      #6397096 - 06/05/13 12:15 PM

David G said:

...Gang all boards to together with base at one end and clamp. Mark dado location and rout across all boards. This ensures a consistent dado position, even if a little off.

Hmmm.. no way to gang up all 12 this way, but I could certainly identify and matchup six pairs easily enough. Hmmm.. I could even build up a dado jig 24" wide, then align via the storyboard transfer marks, cut the dado on the pair at the same time.

David G said:

...Before removing the router guide, use a saddle square to transfer the guide position to the opposite side of the boards. Flip and rout again.

David, I don't understand these two sentences. Can you explain further? Its the opposite side thing that throws me. I'm making six seperate stand alone bookcases, with the intent of screwing them together after completion, four on one wall, two on another. No where do I have a vertical wall with dado's on both sides. That would complicate things crazy.

David G said:

Big board, small tool. Small board, big tool.

Wow, very elegant, never thought of this in that way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zipzit

Re: Cutting LONG boards to exact length? new [Re: Steve N]
      #6397127 - 06/05/13 12:40 PM

Steve N said:

"Accuracy will likely be in +/- 1/32 to +/- 1/16" range, call it good enough, move along."

The line above sounds a lot to me of these young "finish/trim" Men they are the ones who work in MDF, get kinda close, and bondo in the gaps, before paint. If your goal is similar on finish then the question is really moot. If you plan to stain, those big gaps gonna show up like green teeth in an otherwise beautiful mouth.

Steve, that's just low. Man, you are hurting my feelings... but on a side note, I doubt most people could even measure for a 1/32" error on a 10 foot board accurately. I want to do this right (as you might guess) else I wouldn't have posted here. Oh, and 1/16" off will generate a twisted shelf, not necessarily a gap. And in a different direction, too much wood finish in a small room is just not a good thing. I'm actually going to spackle fill & paint this thing white, to match the rest of the house decor. I picked the plywood up very cheap.. off Craigslist. Its 4'x10' black walnut.

I think that would be overwhelming in stained finish, nevermind how expensive it would be to find matching trim. Oh and Steve I'm not really offended. I know what you mean! Thanks, Zip.

Edited by zipzit (06/05/13 12:42 PM)

Barry

Loc: New Rochelle, NY
Re: Cutting LONG boards to exact length? new [Re: zipzit]
      #6397255 - 06/05/13 02:42 PM

I rely on the jig to make the dado perpendicular to the long edge. When I built it I was sure to make the fixed side and one end perpendicular and I marked that as the reference end. I reference that end off the front edge, so if the jig is off at least the dadoes will be parallel. I mark one side of the dado, usually the bottom since I am working my way down in that direction. I align the slot in the jig with my reference line, everything ends up really close.

--------------------
Itshardtoputspacesinbetweenyourwordswithouttheuseofyourthumbs

Edited by Barry (06/05/13 02:45 PM)

majohnson

Loc: Erie, CO
Re: Cutting LONG boards to exact length? new [Re: Barry]
      #6397467 - 06/05/13 07:36 PM

A few 2"x6" or 1 2"x6" and a couple of 2"x4". On a 2"x6" add another strip on top to act as a stop/register. Then lay out your boards across the strips, making sure all boards are butted against the lower strip/stop. Then you can use another board and a couple of "C" clamps. Or the other is one of these http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=clamp%20guide.

Measure everything so your square and make your cut. You can also use a pattern bit in your handheld router, to clean up your cut. Use the same clamping set up, along with router to cut in your mortises.

Vic
Honored Veteran

Loc: The Colony Texas
      #6397488 - 06/05/13 08:02 PM

A well tuned sliding miter saw and a stop block is what I used when I needed several long pieces the same length.

Vic

--------------------
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen,”. Winston Churchill.

Richard D.
Off his rocker

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6397516 - 06/05/13 08:38 PM

zipzit said:

(I don't own a chop saw.)

A used Dewalt RAS would be a good investment for this project. Trying to get consistent end cuts and dados on 10'-0"x 12" pieces on your tablesaw is problematic. That you are asking this question is a good indication that you don't have much experience so most other techniques will prove difficult as well. The easiest way to get all the pieces the same length will be with a saw ment for crosscuts. A RAS would allow you to use a stop for all the cuts and make the dados much easier also.

--------------------
RD
------------------------------------------

zipzit

Re: Cutting LONG boards to exact length? new [Re: Richard D.]
      #6398561 - 06/06/13 06:37 PM

Richard D. said:

A used Dewalt RAS would be a good investment for this project.... A RAS would allow you to use a stop for all the cuts and make the dados much easier also..

Hmmm.. you've convinced me. Holy cow batman are radial arm saws the unloved darlings of craigslist. Yowza. My biggest problem is I don't have room in the shop for one. So I'm figuring on making the purchase, using it and than selling again on craigslist.

I'm seeing lots of items available in my area, generally older Sears Craftsman. The range of prices if $50 up to $550 for 240v 3hp professional unit. I see a Dewalt 740 Radial Arm Saw 10" blade 2HP with 3"cut manual brake listed for $225. I doubt these are flying off the shelves, so its a buyers market.

I'm a pretty anal engineering type, so I'd do due diligence getting things aligned tuned up. (ref: Radial Saw Tune Up Link )

Without going too far off forum topic, any real strong feelings on brand / hp / models? I'm equipped with reasonable metal fab skills / TIG welding setup to repair stuff if needed. The only thing I'm worried about is loose/beatup bearings on motors or overarm, but I'm guessing there is a reason all this stuff is for sale, mainly that it just isn't used much.

(edit.. one more question... will my expensive dado blade set from my table saw work on the radial arm saw? How big a deal is the blade cut angle? I absolutely do NOT want to compromise safety.)

Quote:

That you are asking this question is a good indication that you don't have much experience so most other techniques will prove difficult as well.

Really? I mean really? I was sorta like 'how did they cut dado's 100 years ago?' I could build a rabbet/dado hand saw, pick up a 1/2" wide rabbet plane move this one along. I like wood, I like tools, I just don't really like motorized tools. You guys are a tough crowd. Sorta low blow... ah, well.. let us move on shall we? Its funny.. the real kick is to buy a dado saw / stair saw and obtain a 1/2" dado plane (or even a really nice router plane) is like twice the money to purchase an old used Radial Arm Saw. What a crazy world.

Oh wait.. If I build a stair saw from scratch and perhaps throw in an allen wrench blade DIY router plane will I still be stuck in the "don't have much experience" category? ('Crazy and stupid' category would be ok, I'll accept that for hand tool work, but the 'experience' thing just rubs my fir [sic] in the wrong direction...)

Thanks, (and truly no offense intended by any of my comments... :+) Zip.

Edited by zipzit (06/06/13 06:45 PM)

Pirate

Loc: SW FL
      #6398624 - 06/06/13 07:38 PM

This where a ras shines. For the amount of boards to cut, and all the dados, a ras would sure save a lot of time.It would take me at least 10X as long, without my ras.

--------------------
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

Richard D.
Off his rocker

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6398658 - 06/06/13 08:19 PM

The older Dewalts with a rounded top arm are the most popular Woodnet recommendations and for good reason. They hold their settings once aligned and are more solid than most Craftsman RAS's. Do some more research and you'll find that a smaller blade is better than a larger one so you can keep the stock guard in place and that applies to your dado set as well.

Of course you could do the same with hand tools but the plywood that wasn't being used 100 years ago would be difficult to work with those techniques.

What similar projects have you completed? The Sketchup drawing is pretty ambitious and there is a big difference between drawing and actually constructing. I'd suggest starting with the smallest unit to get your techniques down before buying and cutting all the wood for the larger units.

--------------------
RD
------------------------------------------

zipzit

Re: Cutting LONG boards to exact length? new [Re: Richard D.]
      #6398721 - 06/06/13 09:47 PM

Richard D. said:

What similar projects have you completed? The Sketchup drawing is pretty ambitious and there is a big difference between drawing and actually constructing. I'd suggest starting with the smallest unit to get your techniques down before buying and cutting all the wood for the larger units.

Project started in Autocad 3D, but I got fed up with that dang software. Jumped over to Solidworks. Much much better. The weldments package does wood stuff very well. The software keeps track of ALL the parts involved.

Sample Solidworks Detail in pdf format

Richard, I just posted one of my more complicate pieces as a separate posting Wooden Storage Bins The other things I've worked on includes home furniture (a nice desk) other smaller bookcases, bunk beds and I once helped build an 18' lapstrake sailboat/rowboat. That was interesting. No pictures though, wait, there might be some in one of my book boxes, dang, if I only had some shelving!

Oh, and its already too late. All the wood for the entire project is already rough cut. I found 11 sheets of 4x10' black walnut plywood on Craigslist for a steal.

There is one aspect of the design that is a pretty big stretch. I've got to design angle bracketry to hold up the long desk (the top of the Tee) I'm a reasonable metal fab guy, so I'm going to TIG weld something up, but I want to integrate something to hold the computer base units off the floor. I've got some work to do on that part of the design. For the center part of the Tee, I'm just going to use a store bought Ikea table, cut the bevels, add matching formica & edging. I can't buy the materials for the pricing they sell it for complete.

At any rate, many thanks to all for your advice on this one. I still have some thinking to do.. I've been reading up on the pros and cons of Radial Arm Saws. I'm still a bit undecided. Stay tuned,
Zip

Edited by zipzit (06/07/13 01:23 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, fivestring©™±, thooks, EightFingers, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2538

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4