My biggest WW project ever
Turning this cargo van into a camper:

This RAM Promaster has a 6'4"- tall >6' x >10' cargo area that comes with more than 500 strange holes and surfaces with strange curves. I have spent countless hours just "figuring." Playing with strange shapes of wood, some from my trash bin.

Ceiling:

The first thing up for the ceiling was the side supports. 45° bevels on 1x4. The holes are simply to allow the ceiling to breathe. I found out this would work because I had a scrap left over from a project 15 years ago. Sometimes a messy shop pays off.

Next I installed 1" furring strips along the ceiling ribs, made from 2x4, thus 1.5" wide. The curve is a perfect arc of a circle with radius somewhere in the 10-12' range. These strips were fascinating to work with. The curve is so subtle that I had to be careful which surface I was working on.

Up front, I used Loctite PL Premium 8x to attach a screwing strip to the ceiling weld just rear of the cab ceiling liner. This strip is made from 1x4, is 1.5" deep, and has the same curve as the ribs. I thought I would need several supports while it set, but one on each side held it firmly. I used scrap resting on the black tray as a base for the support. It is as solid as if it were part of the vehicle.

I put tapered shims on the fan surround.

The rear was the hardest. Same curve cut out of 2x4, bottom edge 1.5" below ceiling weld (like the front), but with all the bumps back there it was difficult to hold it in position for screwing.

After agonizing over insulation, I settled on EZ-Cool with Thinsulate.

The ceiling panels are 1/4" (actually 3/16") Luan ply. I got the best I could find, but the quality was so poor that there was no hope for a really smooth surface. Accepting that reality, I applied primer, two coats of paint matched to the white of the van, and three coats of Minwax Polycrylic all with random strokes--no feathering. I like the effect. We will also be carrying momentos of our cats (hair) on our travels.

I actually cut the panels too precisely. Installation above the head is not so precise a maneuver. Fortunately, I was smart enough to install front and rear first, then make adjustments on the middle two that were just rectangles. It was critical, though, that the front edge butt the lip in the headliner, that the screw line be exactly 2 7/8" back from the front edge to center on the edge of that 1x4, and the hole for the fan start 7" back from that edge. That fit perfectly.

The result passes my ultimate test--reflections are true with no dips or waves. Thin battens and moldings will cover the seams, but these will come with the upper walls.

Next up were the upper wall panels. I just thought the ceiling was weird. What finally worked was a "crown mold" made from 2x4. One edge 45°, another 36° and the third I'm not sure--whatever worked.

This was attached to the wall panels before installation.

Turns out the 2x4 wasn't quite wide enough and my two hands weren't sufficient to hold things in place for measuring, so I filled the resulting gap with a thin strip (5/16").

That boo-boo resulted in a nice shadow effect. The wall panel actually has a bit of bow as it crosses an intermediate cross piece, but it is not noticeable.

Windows go below this panel--as large as will fit the spaces. They are ordered and will arrive early April. I'm thinking they will have to be framed with fabric because I have not the talent to fabricate something out of wood.

Cup holder:

The Promaster's cup holders should violate some federal safety law. The seats sit high as in a bus and the cup holders are practically on the floor. This is my remedy:

The front is held up by dowels that anchor between the original cup holders. A strap attaches to some rods behind the dash.

Next is the floor--Marmoleum, then on to the cabinetry.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
looks like a fun project keep up the good work and up date the progress
I look forward to seeing more. I turned a cargo van into a camper many many years ago and can really appreciate the many curved and angled pieces I see in the pics. Well done!

Mike
I am thinking you are working with the inside of a boat, albeit upside down.

It looks promising. Keep it up.
Now that's just too cool!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Wow! That is impressive. It's a lot off work (and sweat) to do it right.

It looks like it'll be worth it.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
This is going to be an enjoyable thread to follow.......

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Converting a Sprinter cargo is a dream of mine. Still working on a 78 Westfalia. Some day...

Nice work!
-----
Justin
I worked on a van when I was a teen, 63 Ford Ecoline... I wasn't nearly as worried about things fitting. I just wanted a little privacy and tunes.

Great Job so far, looks very nice. Keep us posted...
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Great job, Carolyn.