Harbor Freight Non-Gem
Foam Brushes. They look just like the ones at Woodcraft, Lowes, etc., but the stiffener in the middle is much shorter, leaving the outer edge unacceptably floppy.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Agree, also their pencils, absolute junk
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Another is their painter's tape. I bought some because it was cheap. I have a hard time peeling the tape off the roll w/o tearing it down the middle.

Another - sand paper - wears out too fast.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I order boxes of 48 from Jamestown Distributors.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/use...o?pid=1189
Frankly I amazed that people even go to HF. The false economy of throw away products never tempted me.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
TomFromStLouis said:

Frankly I amazed that people even go to HF. The false economy of throw away products never tempted me.

Way to generalize.

I have a large pile of their clamps (at $2-5 each) which work great, and I have never broken a single one in the ~3-4 years I've been using them.

I wouldn't buy just about any power tool from them, but I'm glad there's one in my neighborhood.
That said, you should feel free to keep buying Jet or Bessey f-clamps that do the same thing for 3x more money (or even higher).
Go nuts hating the store.
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
I have their aluminum clamps - they are very inexpensive. I have about 30 of them. No way could I have afforded the name brand stuff. Their speedy clamps I have briken a couple of them but they replaced them.

Most of their mechanic tools are great for hobbyist.

It took me some time to go into their store to buy something. I still limit what I but.

And yes I do buy because of the price. I would rather buy American but we just don't make them at the same price.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
The foam brushes fell off the handle when I tried them. The only expendables I buy at HF are Nitrile or Latex type gloves and chip brushes.

There are many "Gems".

A friend of mine is the corporate pilot for HF. When the owner saw the mechanics were not using HF tools he asked why not. They asked him if he would want to fly on a plane that was serviced with his tools!
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
John Mihich said:

And yes I do buy because of the price. I would rather buy American but we just don't make them at the same price.

Yarp, this.
If it's a tool I use constantly, I'll buy a good quality one; buy once cry once.
If it's a tool I'll use a few times, I'll buy it at HF as it's usually cheaper than renting one.
One-offs still get rented or borrowed.
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
I recently bought a small dolly for $6.99 (I think) that I use to make my Earlex follow me. I couldn't buy the 4 wheels for near that. Also got a small stool on 5 wheels for under $10 that is perfect for my needs.

Many things don't have to cost a mint to be useful.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!