On getting ripped off, feedback from the wise, please.
I build furniture and cabs part time to supplement my income. Yeah, under the radar work, and word of mouth clients. Never had a problem with getting screwed before.I built a massive armoire for a salesman at my day job, guy probably makes 4 X of what I do by day. Asked for the standard 50% down to cover materials and supplies to get the job going with the agreement the balance would be payable on delivery. Finished the piece on time, delivered it [1and 1/2 hours away] to his lakeside home and he said he liked the piece which was built to his wife's specs. She was not home at delivery time. I received the final payment by check , deposited it in my credit union and thought all was well. Yesterday,one week later,while using the credit union's teller phone system I discover a withdrawal equaling the check amount and a penalty of $35.00. Turns out my c.u. says it's my responsibility to make sure any checks I deposit from others are good. My credit union says his check bounced because of NSF. I feel I'm in a precarious position as he is the lead salesman and in a position over me at the day job. I'm hoping for a good outcome of this, so at this point I'm not wanting to go off on him with guns blazing. If his bank is like most, they quickly inform you if you write a check with NSF, so I'm sure he is aware of the problem but hasn't come forward to address it. I'm not wanting to rock the boat too hard at the day job, his accounts are the corps largest and I would be the one to get tossed off the boat if I create a stink. I see him only once or twice a week and need to handle this with Solomon's wisdom which I'm not finding. Any ideas, comments or advice from others who have been ripped off or had issues like this?
If the bank is local, go to the bank, and try to get payment for it directly. If there is money, they SHOULD either give you cash, or convert it to a cashier check which you could then deposit with little issue.

Id do this before you go to him. If there is no money, go to him and say the check is bogus, whats up.

Alot of people dont understand how funds availability works with bank accounts, maybe its as simple as he deposited a check, and the funds wernt cleared.

If he is a jerk about it, you can put it up for collection at the bank where its drawn off of....its costly though. They hold the check, and when funds are in the account, they clear the check (kind of how a lien works) but the fee was ridiculous last I saw.

Or there is small claims court. Should be cut and dry to get a judgment, since he wrote you a check.....but trying to collect....thats the fun part.

Good luck. Hopefully funds wernt available, and you can just go cash it at his bank.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I wouldn't assume that his bank notified him quickly -- a letter delivered by USPS might take several days to reach him.
Also, I would not approach him 'with guns blazing'.

Genuine mistakes (and bad timing on cash flow) can happen to anyone.

I would approach your customer in a polite, non-threaterning, inconspicuous way (telephone, sidebar chat in parking lot/hallway, etc). No need to make him feel uncomfortable or threatened. A simple polite "You may not be aware of this, but the check you wrote for the armoire was returned to my bank as un-paid." Let him react to that. I would not be surprised if he wasn't aware. Let him have the chance to make it right -- at least as the first step.

Just a suggestion! Good Luck!
"I don't have an answer to your question....but I can answer a question that you may be asking in the future"
I'm not sure you have been ripped off. You can't assume that he is even aware of the problem because not everyone stays on top of their bank account activity. I would tell him the check did not go through and you were charged a fee by the cu. Ask him for another check for the fee plus your bill. If you are afraid to talk to him face to face, send him a letter. The facts speak for themselves and you need to address this with him sooner rather than later. I would not do this publicly as he may be embarrassed this happened. It does happen as you now know. Be a pro about it and you'll be better off.
SteveK said:

I wouldn't assume that his bank notified him quickly -- a letter delivered by USPS might take several days to reach him.

I would approach your customer in a polite, non-threaterning, inconspicuous way (telephone, sidebar chat in parking lot/hallway, etc). No need to make him feel uncomfortable or threatened. A simple polite "You may not be aware of this, but the check you wrote for the armoire was returned to my bank as un-paid." Let him react to that. I would not be surprised if he wasn't aware. Let him have the chance to make it right -- at least as the first step.

What Steve said.
Ag
AgGEM said:

[blockquote]SteveK said:

What Steve said.
Ag

[/blockquote]

Yep. What he said.
Plus, some folks don't look at checking that close if spouses are writing checks as well. Likely an honest mistake.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
I think I'll give him one more days worth of wait. I deposited his check 9 business days ago, I can't believe he is not aware of it bouncing by now. Perhaps he doesn't monitor his cash flow or accounts, I can live with that, everybody does make mistakes, but he is very by his own words "extremely organized". If nothing happens tomorrow, I'll give him a 'friendly' and non confrontational call this weekend, to give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him a chance to rectify this, but also to gently let him know I'm not going to let this just slip away quietly. I tend to jump to the conclusion of the worst possible outcome, but my wife tries to reel me in. Her opinion seems to run with you guys' in that it probably is just an oversight or something that will get fixed. I hope you all are right.
Thanks for the replies. I've made up my mind not to lose another night of sleep over this, at this point anyway.
packerguy® said:

If the bank is local, go to the bank, and try to get payment for it directly. If there is money, they SHOULD either give you cash, or convert it to a cashier check which you could then deposit with little issue.

Id do this before you go to him. If there is no money, go to him and say the check is bogus, whats up.

Alot of people dont understand how funds availability works with bank accounts, maybe its as simple as he deposited a check, and the funds wernt cleared.

If he is a jerk about it, you can put it up for collection at the bank where its drawn off of....its costly though. They hold the check, and when funds are in the account, they clear the check (kind of how a lien works) but the fee was ridiculous last I saw.

Or there is small claims court. Should be cut and dry to get a judgment, since he wrote you a check.....but trying to collect....thats the fun part.

Good luck. Hopefully funds wernt available, and you can just go cash it at his bank.

I don't have the check now, I assume his bank has it or it's in the cloud or something. I'll wait another day to see what happens then I'll give him a 'what's up'. I like that way of describing it.
So, let's see the armoire!!
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Let me try to work my way through the pic posting thing. Just not tonight. I do have a couple of pics taken before we put it in the truck. This was one of those 'build a new piece and make it appear old and worn projects' with light colored base paint covered with blue and then sanded on the corners to expose the white. It was his wife's call, I've never built or finished using that technique before but it went with their lakeside cottage look I guess.