What to do with your shorts?
Short boards, that is! I'm in the middle of a post project shop clean up (I've heard of guys who KEEP their shop clean, but that ain't me) and as always, I've got a number of cut-offs and short boards to contend with. I'm not talking about rare exotics or a highly figured piece of crotch wood, just the run of the mill hardwoods that we all use. It pains me to throw these pieces away, but storage can be an even greater pain. So what do you guys do with chunks of wood under a couple of feet? Where do you draw the line and how do you store it? Yes I know there are plenty of little projects designed to make use of scrap, but frankly, I don't build too many of those and if I did, my small stock inventory is already over flowing.
Winter's coming. I burn 'em!
Cutting boards make great Christmas gifts for extended family.
buzzard752 said:

Winter's coming. I burn 'em!

+1 ... after selecting a few for pen blanks.
See ya later,
Bill
Grill and smoker.
I usually save them for as long as I can then I cut them into kindling for the fireplace.

If they're cherry, hickory, or maple I'll save them for smoking.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

glzahn said:

...If they're cherry, hickory, or maple I'll save them for smoking.

+1 and don't forget oak, my favorite for pork shoulder.

I've also split off straight grained sections of scraps to make draw bore pegs with a dowel plate when needed.
Flat-rate boxes of wood tend to go quickly in SnS.

The post office does not stock all of the different size flat rate boxes, but they will deliver a bundle of them to you for free. The board-game flat rate box is a good one to know about.

Turners and turning clubs can go through a lot of shorts.

"Boring" wood can be very helpful when turning finials or things like necklace trees.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I don't really know what happens to my shorts. My wife picks them up off the floor is all I know.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
ruffcutt said:

I don't really know what happens to my shorts. My wife picks them up off the floor is all I know.

I turn mine iside-out every wednesday and change them every saturday.

I don't keep many short boards unless they are something special.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.