Rubbing Out that Walnut Slab
You may remember the walnut slab counter top I've been working on. The Arm-R-Seal had cured for about 12 days and I decided to try rubbing it out. I tried just using Evercoat Triple Cut Compound on a foam pad on my ROS but that didn't do much of anything, definitely didn't remove the dust nibs. So I went to plan B and put a 1500 grit sanding disk on my ROS, sprayed the slab with some soapy water and went over it pretty well. That got rid of the dust nibs, cut some of the orange peel, and dulled much of the finish, but it wasn't uniformly dull because the top is not perfectly flat. So I switched to Abralon foam disks. The disks were soft enough to follow the undulations in my less than perfect slab. I started with a 3000 grit disk with soapy water and that did a great job of bringing it all to a uniform dull sheen and getting rid of most of the orange peel. I cleaned off the slab and switched to a 4000 grit, the finest they make it in. It looked really good after that and I could have just left it like that if I had wanted a beautiful satin sheen. BTW, the Abralon disks work great but they don't last very long. Both disks were pretty much shot after doing the slab which is only around 18 sq. ft. Since I wanted a glossy sheen I went back to the Evercoat Triple Cut Compound, but put it on a Griot's Garage Fast Finishing Pad. The pad allowed the compound to follow the contours of the slab and brought it up to a nice medium gloss.

And here it is:

I'm glad I went to the effort to rub it out. There was a learning curve (which I'm sure isn't complete) but it wasn't hard and the finish now has that hand rubbed look and feel to it. It's still not perfect but that's because I didn't get it truly flat before I finished it.

Anyone who says polyurethane doesn't get hard enough to rub out has never used Arm-R-Seal.
Really looks good.

I have tried rubbing out lacquer and it was a PITA. I just don't have much patience for the whole process. Obviously you do and it paid off!!!
Beautiful
Very Nice!
wow John that turned out nice
Nice job, John, like always. Michelle said "Wow!" Ken
And you're going to let them use that for a counter top????????????? Ought to hang it on the wall.
Looks great! Thanks for the detailed write up of your process, I'm going to bookmark this page.
I like it. Gonna have to try that on the next top.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
I love walnut, and I joined WoodNet over a year ago, BECAUSE I was looking for help in dealing with a slab in a project for my oldest daughter... beautiful.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.