weight of walnut
I have a top to a blanket chest that is made out of walnut. I would like to know the weight of walnut per board feet so I can calculate the actual weight of the top.

MY other question is the weight in a full inch thick. I know that steel is .2834 per cubic inch so any size can be calculated. But hardwood wood is bought by the board foot because it is rough sawn at one inch but it may not be actual size.

Tom
Black walnut has an average oven dry specific gravity of 0.55 g/cc. If your wood is at, say, 8% MC, then it would have a SG of about 0.59 g/cc, which is 36.75 lb/ft^3 in English units. A BF = 12" x 12" x 1" = 0.0833 ft^3, so 1 BF of black walnut at 8% MC will have an average weight of 3.06 lbs.

Hope that helps.

John
jteneyck said:

Black walnut has an average oven dry specific gravity of 0.55 g/cc. If your wood is at, say, 8% MC, then it would have a SG of about 0.59 g/cc, which is 36.75 lb/ft^3 in English units. A BF = 12" x 12" x 1" = 0.0833 ft^3, so 1 BF of black walnut at 8% MC will have an average weight of 3.06 lbs.

Hope that helps.

John

Yeah.... I was going to say just that very same thing...

Engineers, useful at time they are
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
Useful Aliens they are
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
We Aliens make the world work!

John
jteneyck said:

John

I should introduce you to some of the engineering division guys from my day job....didn't seem like anything they did worked. But I'm pretty sure it was always technically correct!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
jteneyck said:

John

I have to say at the current place where I work I am under a bunch of safety nerds, and they are all engineers. It's a first in my occupational exposure that the ideas the engineers put on paper, actually work in production reality. It's kinda refreshing, and I have a much better view of engineers as a whole. Previously they were just educated idiots with zero common sense, who FUBAR'd everything they touched. I say that in the nicest way possible
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yeah, no.

I have been working wood professionally for 30 years. While you can look up the specific weight of any species of wood, they can and will vary A LOT based on any number of factors, and I am NOT referring to moisture content.

Most species I have worked with are generally similar in weight board to board, but I always seem to find outliers, both heavier and lighter than the norm.

If you need to know the weight to insure that your top will be safely supported by a particular support, then you might want to simply gather the boards and weight them, even before you glue it all up.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
tablesawtom said:

I have a top to a blanket chest that is made out of walnut. I would like to know the weight of walnut per board feet so I can calculate the actual weight of the top.

Tom

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here...if you have the top, why not just put it on a scale and weigh it?
Jason Woodford

I happen to have a full set and once they had one bad winter of moisture they never real look good again. - Scott Whiting 6/24/10

I live in a constant state of horny. She's very obliging. Why mess with it? - Snipe Hunter
Jason, you're not thinking as an "engineer". That could be misleading, inaccurate and God-forbid too simple. It has to be academically analyzed, theorized, and empirically tested before an adequate discussion can determine the best way to determine.

Watch, listen & learn grasshopper.
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!