Ellen Degeneres' Furniture design show
I watched the Ellen Degeneres furniture design show the other day. Some pretty neat looking designs. Most were well executed. A couple were a little rough around the edges. Worth watching in my opinion.

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/ellens-design-challenge

Bradly won the first contest. Click his name and see the winning design.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Vivian Beer.

est design.
Ag
Other than it being a dusting nightmare I was wondering how well all those end grain joints would hold up to the ahem occasional romp before sleeping. Depending on the person that could be a lot of PSI on the joints. Maybe its just me.

I did like the unique design though.
WoodworkerTom said:

Other than it being a dusting nightmare I was wondering how well all those end grain joints would hold up to the ahem occasional romp before sleeping. Depending on the person that could be a lot of PSI on the joints. Maybe its just me.

I did like the unique design though.

That was my thought, though they did use floating tenons and all of them share the load. But I would worry about that too. Nice looking though.
The concept mentioned walking in the bed. I am sure you could not walk up into the bed. Those would flex and break. I don't believe you could even set in that bed with out it flexing a lot. The joints just don't look strong enough.
I can't imagine that bed holding up to everyday use. I did think the show was very interesting, and I liked a couple of the beds a lot. The one with the steel-framed joints and the carving on the maple sideboards and the one with the rounded headboard and gold-leaf applique on it were my two favorites.
Dammittim said:

The concept mentioned walking in the bed. I am sure you could not walk up into the bed. Those would flex and break. I don't believe you could even set in that bed with out it flexing a lot. The joints just don't look strong enough.

I believe that Cassina of Italy could build this bed strong enough for daily use. They use finger joints and dowels for their Zig Zag chair which probably has more stress than the bed. They even have a video showing how it is made, scroll down to view. It is about 3 minutes and very well done:

http://www.cassina.com/en/collection/chairs/280-zig-zag
yep, i'm a fan of this show.

of course, there'll always be the "drama" in this type of show, but this one doesn't have it NEARLY as much as some of the others i've seen.

kinda cool when you're seeing banners for rockler, klingspor, etc . . . and the shop . . . droooooool!!!!
I liked it last year. Then at the end it had drama.
Didn't realize it started again. I'll have to find it now.
Thanks
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
there's just so little on tv any more showing any kinda wood-working, so i'm pretty forgiving.