Bee hives- material choice?
A co-worker keeps bees. What is the material of choice for hives?

I don't know what others used. I am in the process in working on getting a beehive with my neighbor. I would be using construction pine - only because it's the cheapest stuff out there; been used for construction for a long time; paints well.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Eastern white pine. Or, if you can find it, bass.

Either paints up well out, and is available cheap and knot free.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
My grand dad used pine for the ones he built.

John
pine for the ones I bought from several suppliers.
Pine for me too. Keep paint on them and they will last for decades. My brother still has some of the hives I made and that was (eek!) 46 years ago.
Top Bar Hives from Western Red Cedar. Don't have to paint. Weathers well. Lightweight.
I have used white pine but even with paint, they don't last well in Texas. I just built some with Cypress and expect them to do well since it is naturally decay resistant.
Curtis

https://www.Turntex.com
Cactus Juice Stabilizing Solutions and Alumilite Casting Resins
Not having a clue as I have never kept bee's I see several saying pine, and outdoors unless your paint is absolutely covering it I see a lot of decay in using pine. So of the choices mentioned here I would use Cedar as it weathers pretty well unadorned, and is pretty cheap like pine.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You know your right about cedar. I built a couple of chairs and they have held up for the past 15 years; they sit outside all the time. I painted them but the ceder deck is holding up as well.

I might consider cedar instead of the pine now that you guys brought it up. Cedar is pretty cheap here also. Just use stainless fasteners. I didn't with the chairs and I do have staining. The deck was done with stainless and it's fine.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.