Walnut box for work
At work we have a myriad of electronic test equipment. And occasionally, we manage to destroy something and have to replace it. This was recently the case with one of our DMMs. So we bought a new Fluke 87-5. Comes with a bunch of extra bits and things also have a tendency to scatter to the four corners of the earth on my bench, I told my boss I'd make a box in which to keep everything.

I think he thought I'd make it from plywood or something. He seemed a bit surprised it was walnut with a lid made using red-gum veneer...

Oh well, at least this way we can lose everything at the same time. Now, where did all the little clips for the logic analyzer go?

This was also the first box for which I used my new (inexpensive) HVLP (not HPLV like I had originally!) to spray shellac. Worked great! Had a small learning curve as far as setting flow rate and had to fix a little bit of orange peel that happened on the red-gum. But otherwise, well worth the (small) money.

The panel for the lid and the panel for the bottom are both MDF that I veneered. The bottom panel has walnut veneer. I like making quick boxes this way because I can glue in the panel and get a little bit of support for the mitered corners. Corner splines are cherry. Pretty much all the wood and wood like products (MDF) came from the scrap bin.

Edited to fix typo
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Nice box! When I was in the Army, Fluke was the best. It's what I have at home. I think you meant HVLP and not HPLV, but we get what you meant.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Nice box! When I was in the Army, Fluke was the best. It's what I have at home. I think you meant HVLP and not HPLV, but we get what you meant.

Doh!
Yes, High Volume, Low Pressure. I will correct typo.

Some Fluke instruments ain't what they used to be. Other instruments are longer what they used to be but instead be Fluke... It gets very confusing.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Rob Young said:

Am I the only one to see an alien lady in the inside of the top?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Nice box Rob. Love that Rorschach test veneered top

It gives you a different plate inside, and out. Love the little Alien on the inside
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
WT, cough up how you knew it was an Alien Lady
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Nice work.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
That's a beautiful box. I hope it helps you hang onto the alligator clips, they seem to like running away!
Nice job, Rob! The red gum really adds some pizzazz!
Whoa! That is way too nice for a "work" box.

George, I'm thinking he recognized the two antenna coming out of her head each supporting another smaller head. Not exactly the girl next door look - ya know what I mean?

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!