1988 A nostalgic look at a paneling job I did once
I haven't been away from Woodnet altogether, but a lot has changed for me. I post with an iPad, and have been unable to post pictures until just last night. My new ability may allow me to post some meaningful content, and explain ideas in ways I haven't been able to previously. A long time ago, many Woodnetters knew who I was, but I've been unable to post photos, so many do not. That makes this post an introduction of sorts. Back in...<cue the harp music; flashback>

I was twenty four years old, and had been in business since July 1987.
I got my first big job, a paneled wainscoting to dress up a very large expensive home in a nearby affluent town. (Los Gatos for those who need to know)
The client had an entryway that was all white and devoid of detail. When I visited, nobody had a plan for what to do, how to dress up and define the space. I was well acquainted with the principles of design, and proposed a typical Mid-Georgian scheme. I presented my drawing, which I still have, got the check, and away we went. In those early days, this client was good for me, and I transformed much more of their house over the next few years.
These are photos of photos, so the quality is rather poor. I think I'll include a before shot (at least), my drawings, some job shots, and a picture of a very young cabinetmaker who looks a little like me.
Hopefully you will enjoy these.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31...5822_o.jpg

What I did with the bedroom door.
Well, Mr. Murphy, you are and were one talented dude! Ken
Very impressive. It looks like it always should have been that way. Did you do the carving at the very top, too? The one that looks like a horizontal drape (and please tell me what the actual name is)

Paul
Yep. I designed and carved the drape. I had intended to turn the columns. I glued up the stock. I had 12/4 stock too. My lathe had the swing and bed length, but just wasn't beefy enough.
As far as names are concerned, I'd just call that carved drapery. If you see something like that made of vegetation, like Laurel leaves, oak leaves, flowers, etc., there is a better name. The vegetable one would be a swag. If you were getting picky picky, only the jump rope looking part is a swag. The verticals would be drops.
I sometimes get picky, but I caution my listener. ;-)
<edit>
Ha ha ha, I get to be picky...drapery swag. It's located in a cool named place, the Entablature. The horizontal part on top of columns is called entablature, which is a big ten dollar word for "table thingy." The entablature makes a table using the upturned columns for legs. This wall paneling is loosely based on the Tuscan order. If you look at the columns, there is a small molding that goes around just before the top. Above it is blank space, and above that, the capital. That molding also has a ten dollar word to describe it, but is commonly called the necking. The necking/space above necking/capital are called the abacus. The space occupied by the abacus would be the leafy part of a Corinthian column. It would also be featured in jillions of old architecture books with a human head inside. Kind of like the vitruvian man. Don't ignore that stuff, it does have significance.
Very cool. Classic, elegant design never goes out of style. You have a good eye.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
Have you been back recently? I wonder how it looks 28 years later?
Very cool post Paul. I really enjoyed it. Excellent work and design. Seeing the young beaming craftsman in the pics made it that much better!

Wow! The last time I went was possibly 1991. Perhaps later I can post another picture of a picture. I do have that. Not now though. These people lived in a big deal neighborhood. Steve Wozniak was their neighbor. I spent all day there, and then went home to my little place that I rented in Dogpatch. Their children were lonely; trapped in a gilded cage. They had the newest video games, but I had been far richer with my flea market bicycle, friends, excursions to the creek to throw rocks, and other childhood activities. Their parents had financial success, but it hadn't spoiled their hearts. D_ and P_ were truly good, kind people. But, like I said, the children were victims of the affluence. A palace type home, far away from other children to play with.
I have mixed feelings about seeing my young self.
I want to be that young again. I want my hair back.