I've changed my tune
Right now I'm involved in a shop remodel, so I'm busy. I'm building a set of cabinets to convert my cabinet shop into a combination cabinet shop marquetry shop, but when I'm done I've got another project for myself.
I'm going to do a layout (on a piece of plywood) of the five orders of architecture.
The five are: Doric, Tuscan, Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite.
The reason I call it changing my tune is that I've always noticed that every book of any significance instructs the reader to do the layout. I've never done it. Recently I was perusing a seventeenth century architecture book, and at last, the author closed the sale. The exercise will be important, significant. I've always suspected that, but at last, I'm convinced. I don't know where it's going to take me. It feels a little like finally deciding to do what the doctor says.
"Quit smoking, eat right, exercise", the doctor says. "You'll feel better", he says. "Yeah sure, you're right", we say, but never do it.
I bring this up because the question has been asked on the forum, "Do you use the Golden Mean?" I answer (honestly) that I don't. Soon, if someone asks, "Is your work influenced by the classical orders of architecture?", I'll answer, "Yes. I've laid them out."
A big change for me.
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I have to admit my ignorance in that I've only ever heard of Doric, Ionic, and Corintian, never Tuscan and Composite as styles. I couldn't tell you what the key characteristics of any of the three I've heard of are though. Maybe your efforts will rub off a little on me.

John
I will also be interested to see what happens.
I don't know. I'm beginning to be convinced that the geometry of the orders provides an underlying skeleton of sorts for decorative designs. Two, possibly three years ago, I set out on a mission to teach myself to draw and compose work with acanthus leaves. I was and am serious about it. I used James Page's book (you will find it online) and I drew every day. I got reasonably good. Still, complex compositions are challenging. I'm hopeful that experience laying out the classical orders will assist me. It might be important to note: this surmise is not without cause. I've seen little morsels and tidbits that suggest that the answer is there.
Some of my acanthus work:

I declare:
If you cannot draw, you cannot carve.
I want to carve. I decided to improve my carving skills, I must learn to draw. Every teacher (now long dead by the way) tells me I must learn the classical orders. At last, I listened.
I doodle on the calendar while I'm waiting on the phone.
This is the one I thought I was linking to. The similar one above was just a time I got a new type of pencil. I had to see what the pencil was like. A sort of "test drive."
What do you mean by "laying out" the orders?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
The classical orders is a term not commonly used. What it means is the arrangement of design elements employed in the construction of any given column. A measurement system is used to complete the task, but that system is derived, or determined by the workman. Units of measurement like inches or meters ARE NOT USED.
The first task is to determine the height of the column. Any length can be used, it doesn't matter. Mine will be big enough to see easily, small enough to be drawn on a sheet of plywood. I'm not going to make any columns, I'm just going to lay them out for an exercise.
Next, in a series of steps too detailed to explain here, the distance is divided into equal portions, or fractions of the given distance. It is complicated, but the process yields a unit of measurement specifically suited to the column one is working on. It's early in the morning, and I can't remember the name of the unit, but determining that unit is the first task. Remember, I said no use of inches or meters. That column unit is the unit of measure. It is the only thing relevant to what one is doing, and it is relevant only to what one is doing. Read that sentence carefully. Those are two different things, both exclusive.
That unit is then employed to complete the layout and design of every element of column construction.
The reason I describe this task as a "change of my tune", or a "change of heart" is this: I've always had a good eye. I've always had a good head for design. I'm well acquainted with furniture styles, and have been able to accomplish what I have needed to do. All my career, voices (Chippendale, too many others to name) have been telling me, "You must first learn to lay out the classical orders." Every book of any significance has this as the first lesson. It's always in the front. I've never done it.
Like I said before, the doctor has often told each of us what we must do, we all know we should, and none of us ever do.
I believe I have, at last, seen something important. I don't know what it is, but think of it this way...
When we are little, the mommys and daddys, the grown ups, can spell words right before our very eyes to communicate secretly with one another. We have no clue what's being said. Don't tell Billy we got him a P U P P Y. It's right there for Billy to hear, but he cannot grasp it.
That's why I have to learn to lay out the classical orders. The grown ups have secret knowledge, and I have never even been able to see what was right before my eyes. Put another way, I'm going to teach myself to read. I'll know to run when I hear, "Billy is I N T R O U B L E."
MsNomer said:

What do you mean by "laying out" the orders?

Look at this
http://youtu.be/HBh04ZtnLDM
Module.
The unit of measurement is the module.
A module is derived for the column one is working on. It is essential for the column at hand, and useless for ANYTHING else.