Stickley(-ish) bookrack
Quarter sawn red oak with dye, glaze and plenty of amber shellac. Finished off by buffing out a dark wax. Decided to be lazy and just move it into position instead of taking it out to the driveway for better pictures. Because, well, you know, lazy.

So here's some poorly lit photos:

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Nice!
Love it.
Your attention to the finish really shows and elevates the simple design. Sweet project.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Simple, but simply nice. And for those who say they don't like red oak, that piece might convince them to give it another look. Beautifully finished.

Very well done.

John
That finish is gorgeous!!!!

Nice job.
Very nice
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
jteneyck said:

Simple, but simply nice. And for those who say they don't like red oak, that piece might convince them to give it another look. Beautifully finished.

Very well done.

John

Thanks.

It has been my experience that most people can't tell the difference between red and white quarter sawn oaks if they are appropriately finished. And the cost difference in the lumber is significant. Worth the time to work the steps.

Edit to add : This document http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/wp...0-2015.pdf

A good starting point to learn a little more about using dyes, glazes and waxes on quarter sawn oak. However I'm not purchasing the "kits" from Homestead. Likewise, I'm using amber and garnet shellac as the seal coats between steps. But the theory and process is the same. And of course, making test boards is important.

If you spent 20-40 hours building the project it seems reasonable to spend at least as much time on the finishing?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Very nice. Where did you get the amber shellac?
Wow! This mat be the 1st red oak project I've seen pictured in these forums that I've liked. Well done Sir!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard