Slab dining table
Hi guys/gals. Been a while since I've been woodworking or posting as life seems to have been getting in the way. I'm going to be diving in with a large, thick hunk of wood for a dining table. I've done the usual 3 to 4 days of internet research and thought it was time to turn to the pros. (that's you guys) I'm not locked in on anything yet. Can't decide to go live edge or regular square/rectangular table. Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions on wood type, what to watch for, base ideas, etc., etc. it would be greatly appreciated. BTW, if you all have a source of good slabs I'd like to hear about it. TIA. Don
The older I get the faster I was.
Got a picture of the slab? Sometimes you look at a piece of wood and it gives you an idea. Just the way the live edge is etc. Some have really nice lines, and it would be a shame to cut them off. Others are more Meh, and you may as well square them up and make a more conventional rectangular table.

Personally I like more of a "Trestle" design for live edge tables, but that's just my preference.
Here is one I built a long time ago. The customer didn't like the live edge look so it came off. The slab is waterfall bubinga and the base is tiger maple and figured bubinga.

I like that. Shaker/Farmhouse top over Asian base all done with perfect wild wood.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Here is a link to a simple ebonized ash base I made. It's works well with just about any decor:

https://www.facebook.com/126415221682/ph...e=3&theater
I agree with the above that suggests you start by finding a slab. If you are not committed to any design, then let the slab that grabs you suggest the design. It is the kind of wood best selected in person, so I would look locally and regionally.

There are lots of base designs and an image search will suggest many in a hurry. Look at a bunch of Nakashima, trestle, farmhouse, shaker, modern, or anything else you can think of -table base designs and draw up what you like.

Dave's beautiful bubinga table has a sleek modern look that might be perfect for you, but you might prefer rustic or stout or who knows what. We can't tell from here.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Thanks for the replies and WOW, that's the kind of dining table I'm talking about Dave. I'd love to have a place I could go look at some slabs but I'll have to do some more research as to where some of these places are. I'm sure there will be plenty of other questions to ask once I start with a slab. Thanks again and nice table Dave.
The older I get the faster I was.
On the north edge of Waldo, there's a guy with Cypress planks, knees and slabs on display as well as Coke memorabilia.
He has lots of slabs of various types in the back.
Last time I was there, he had several hundred.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I do slabs as a business. A few tips I would give are:

1. Get a moisture meter. You want < 12% otherwise you're going to get too much wood movement
2. Find a business that lets you rent their wide belt sander. I have a place I use that has 50" capacity. It's both a planer & sander, which allows me to get the slab to dead flat for about $100/hr. A single slab typically takes 15 minutes, so I try to bring 3-4 slabs at a time.
3. Learn / practice on bowties / butterfly's for stabilizing cracks.
4. Finish all sides equally. What I mean is I typically hit all sides with two coats of shellac to seal the wood before applying my real finish. If you use a finish that has long dry times (> 8 hrs) or you can't get to the other side for that long, you're going to get massive movement as one side is effectively dry and the other side is taking in the moisture from the air (if you don't seal the entire thing at the start).

Getting your slabs from Sawyers will save 50% or more. Find local sawyers. Search for "slab" in your local craigslist.

Oh - Dave what a gorgeous table. Awesome job.

Here's a pretty picture

Thurman
Portland, OR
Without trying to upset anyone, I have to say I'm not much of a fan of live edge tables. As you see from Dave's post, neither was his client, although they must have thought they were initially. I understand why many people are impressed by a really thick slab of beautiful wood with a ragged edge; I am, too. The problem is not many people have a home where a table made from that slab looks good. If you do, have at it. But for those of us who don't, a table like what Dave made makes a very impressive statement without sticking out like a sore thumb.

Just my opinion.

Oh boy, Don Juvet will never let me visit him again. I didn't say I didn't like your work Don. It's amazing. And they look great in the homes of the folks you made them for. There just aren't many homes like those, certainly not mine.

John